Couch to 1400k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
Ah, that one. Chapeau! That's an absolute brute.
Have done enough of the route (Three Pistes sportive) to add it to the bucket list. Along with "getting up the Lecht without getting off and pushing"...

But yeah, I'd echo everyone else's sentiments; it's about endurance, longevity and staying mentally toughness when you're lost and it's chucking it down in the middle of nowhere in the dark and you're being chased by dogs, rather than about pure physical fitness. So I'm doubly screwed :smile:

It appears I exaggerated it a bit. Unfortunately I'm not at the same level of fitness now as I was then. I've done the Lecht climb three times from the Tomintoul side, never from the other side, which I think might be harder. I find the Cairn O' Mount harder than the Lecht. I had an epic fail before I really started cycling going up the Cairn O' Mount on a charity fund-raising ride and I've never got over it.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I have definitely got no advice for someone who can do Snow Roads in 15 hours. :notworthy:

I'm not that fit at the moment though. I've also got no idea what it would be like to get up and repeat it the next day. My recollection is that I was a bit stiff but basically fine. My family reckon I couldn't move for several days. My memory totally blocked out the drive home. I should probably have taken a nap before getting in the car.

I'm not that fit at the moment though. I've also got no idea what it would be like to get up and repeat it the next day. My recollection is that I was a bit stiff but basically fine. My family reckon I couldn't move for several days. My memory totally blocked out the drive home. I should probably have taken a nap before getting in the car.
My experience of doing a multi-day punisher of a route - the Raid Pyrenean in 2015 - is that you think "I cannot see how I will be able to ride at all tomorrow", on waking "I cannot possibly face the bike today", hurting all over. Then after breakfast and stretching you tentatively have no option but to get on the bike, struggle a bit until you start to loosen and warm up and 10 minutes later you're back into it.

It's more of a mental hurdle to get back on the bike rather than a physical inability to continue - so long as you're gentle during the warming up phase. And I say that as a guy who has been procrastinating about getting a ride in today for nearly 2 hours :cry:

This blog is a good read and has sections about his training if you ferret around https://theadventurecapitalist.wordpress.com
Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:

Nebulous, I'd echo what others have already said. 90% of multi-day ultra-distance is in the head. I'd say you've already demonstrated with past achievements that you're capable enough there. Most of us are able to rise to the occasion and surprise ourselves with what's possible.

Conditioning is critical, which means gradually (and that part is important!) building up your weekly time on the bike, carefully listening to your body's feedback in order to make any fit adjustments necessary to be comfortable for the duration. Core strength is invaluable here (and a great thing for general wellbeing anyway).

The bit you may not have come across yet is the need to properly focus on recovery if you plan to ride consecutive big days. Eat and drink continuously, right to the end of your ride and beyond. Stretch, eat a variety of foods if you can, take extra care of yourself during the rides (layer up and down when necessary - don't delay).

If riders are conditioned (on a well-fitting bike) and can keep the fuel going in then I don't see any distance as being impossible. The variable then becomes speed, which is where your fitness comes into play.

jay clock

Massive member
My NY resolution to publish at least one entry per week is going well, huh? Day 9 - The Unrideable Day - is half-written and I'll endeavour to get that live this week. It's nice to know folk are looking forward to them. If only family, work and training would stop getting in the way!
i am straight in as soon as the email comes

My NY resolution to publish at least one entry per week is going well, huh? Day 9 - The Unrideable Day - is half-written and I'll endeavour to get that live this week. It's nice to know folk are looking forward to them. If only family, work and training would stop getting in the way!
Consider me subscribed. I'll need to read your Tinerfeño exploits soon!

Teide from sea level was on my bucket list for the longest time and I was so glad to get it done. Although I still haven't done it from Las Americas (aka the Proper Way)

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
This is becoming more complicated than I expected / wanted it to. That's life though. Most of my dilemmas are nothing about training. I have two bikes, an Edinburgh Bike cyclocross and a tarmac. I've been toying with the idea of buying a spa steel audax bike with handbuilt wheels and dynamo built in. Apart from paying for it, getting to Harrogate to try it and again to collect it, I have a problem with storage. Cross bike lives in the shed. Tarmac lives in the house, under sufferance. I wouldn't want to keep a new bike in the shed and I wouldn't get to keep it in the house. I had kind of settled on using the Tarmac and making it work, with battery lights.

I went out yesterday with the intent to do a relaxed 80k. The cyclepath alongside a busy dual carriageway was mucky and I not only punctured my tube but got a hole in my tyre. I changed the tube in cold rainy conditions intending to carry on, but saw the tube was poking through the sidewall. I went home and changed the tyres for grand prix 4000s at 25 millimetres instead of 23s. I've reduced the pressure from 120 back and 110 front to 100 / 90. I also fitted raceblades. Ready to give that setup a try at the clubrun today.

I'm going to Gran Canaria for two weeks in mid- March. I booked it before I got a place in LEL so made no provision for a bike. I thought I was too late for adding one and intended hiring a bike there. Roughly 25 euros a day. Checking online I discovered I can add a bike for £25 each way. Great I can take my own bike - but I'll need a box. Which one? Look at the price- wouldn't I be better with a new bike? Then I'd still be 250 euros to hire a bike on holiday.

So questions: -

Tarmac or buy audax bike?
Equipment on bike - at least one tyre in addition to tubes.
What bags / luggage carrier do I need on bike?
Tyres for LEL? 25s are biggest I can fit on Tarmac, go for a harder casing, not race tyres?

Gran Canaria hire or add to baggage?
If I add a bike which box to buy?
Do I need separate bike insurance?

For training I'm doing a 200 next week. The Forth and Tay. That will help me on my journey regarding equipment and bikes. It will also give me an idea of my fitness / physical preparedness level.

LEL is turning into a whole series of compromises, each with knock-on effects for further choices. That's possibly what a big challenge is about!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A folding tyre may be worthwhile but also consider carrying a tyre boot to temporarily fix a hole until your next planned stop.

I understand you can take bikes in bike bags on most flights but I never have. Boxes are good but not essential.

I'd hire for part of the week. It's a way to try a different bike and it is probably good to have some rest on holiday too. Beware travel insurance that lumps ordinary cycling in with stuff like paragliding or has equipment restrictions or has altitude limits but I'd make sure I was covered.

Good luck with the 200.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Nebulous!
I have never done an Audax, but have toured Scotland on very rough roads.
I would use the cyclocross, get the thinnest Marathon Original Greenguard you can fit.
Reason for the bike: if my £300 Evans special took me to the Lakes and back from Glasgow, surely your much lighter, with better specs, cross can do LEL.
Get some decent battery lights, carry 2 sets of spares, the rest can be bought on route, surely you're not gonna ride the whole route in total darkness, in July.
Fit a light rack and a top bag, only carry 2 spare cycling shorts, one spare jersey, arm warmers, leg warmers, rain jacket, some food, your tools and tubes.
Reason for choice of tyres: I never got a puncture on them cycling route 7 from Callander to Glasgow, quite a bit of it is a MB track.
On holiday, just rent a bike for 3/4 days, relax for the remaining.
You can do it!

Top Bottom