Could do with a little advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lordy. It's a simple warranty issue.

This is how it should go: You present the bike, the mechanic discovers the failed BB and makes a phone call to the warranty dept of Cannondale who (a) approve the installation of a new BB from stock or (b) arrange to have one delivered to the shop. It's impossible for a customer to wreck the inside of a BB so there should be zero quibble.

Few shops have loaner bikes though idf they have a rental fleet it would be a no brainer - lend the customer a bike until the bike is fixed.

Seems to me the shop simply can't be bothered to get off its arse. If it were my bike I'd be asking for my money back right about now.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Seems to me the shop simply can't be bothered to get off its arse. If it were my bike I'd be asking for my money back right about now.

Ditto

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Well rightly or wrongly being the trusting type i intend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will call in person on Friday and get an update and suggest a date for the repair which is fair and then if that passes i will ask for it to be swopped /exchanged. All within 14 days.

Basically i am just arming myself with good advice just in case they put me in an uncomfortable position. Maybe they will sort it on time and that will be that hopefully. Time will tell.

Thanks again for all the good advice received :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
if they buggered the BB so badly the pessimistic type might worry about quality control on that bike, ie what else might come to light in the future

(sorry)

The BB failed. Serious, yes, but it's only a component, a tiny part of the whole bike. If it were my shop - and I've managed a few in my time - I would have located a new BB pretty sharpish and got the customer back on the road.

Let me just say , seriously, 14 days is taking the piss. I'd have aimed to turn that around in 14 minutes.

It doesn't take longer to get a new BB than two days..... Ask yourself what the f is going on.

I know of a high profile Bristol bike shop which was once a Cannondale dealer. They consistently failed to pay their bills on time so Cannondale eventually, quite rightly, stopped dealing with them.

abo

This is how it should go: You present the bike, the mechanic discovers the failed BB and makes a phone call to the warranty dept of Cannondale who (a) approve the installation of a new BB from stock or (b) arrange to have one delivered to the shop. It's impossible for a customer to wreck the inside of a BB so there should be zero quibble.

Few shops have loaner bikes though idf they have a rental fleet it would be a no brainer - lend the customer a bike until the bike is fixed.

From what the OP has said, Connondale want the bike back for inspection before they will do anything. It sounds like the shop has been on to Cannondale for the approval you mention, and it wasn't granted.

This is where I run out of experience; I know that responsibility for resolving the fault lies with the retailer, but not sure how you'd argue this with the shop. IMHO they should either just exchange it with the customer for a working one so the OP is happy and off cycling, and the knackered one gets sent back to Cannondale (which is what I thought happened with all faulty stuff???) or OP gets a loaner while Cannondale do their thing.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
From what the OP has said, Connondale want the bike back for inspection before they will do anything. It sounds like the shop has been on to Cannondale for the approval you mention, and it wasn't granted.

This is where I run out of experience; I know that responsibility for resolving the fault lies with the retailer, but not sure how you'd argue this with the shop. IMHO they should either just exchange it with the customer for a working one so the OP is happy and off cycling, and the knackered one gets sent back to Cannondale (which is what I thought happened with all faulty stuff???) or OP gets a loaner while Cannondale do their thing.
The responsibility is with the shop. If you buy a can of Carling and it is off do you take it back to the shop and get a refund / or replacement or argue to toss with Carling?

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker

Your first point is spot on.
Second point is they have agreed to send it back and told me to expect 5 working days turnaround for the repair. I'm personally not bothered about a loan bike i have others i can use. What i do want is MY bike back in 5 days as agreed. IF the bike isn't ready in 5 days then that's the point where i start quoting my rights, hence the op :thumbsup:

I also know their stock of Cannondales is extremely limited as i had to wait for this particular model for some time.

It's total bullshit - no one ever sends a bike back to a warranty dept for them to inspect a bottom bracket. Cheapest shipping I know is £16 - one way. Not to mention the time it takes to box it up. A new BB is how much?

The shop are in the same position with Cannondale as the OP with the shop. And as a Cannondale dealer you'd imagine that cannondale would trust them to make warranty decisions wouldn't you? because that's the way it works... 'Hello we've had a BB failure send us a new one', 'Sure, what's the frame number?' And that's it. Job done. There's something else going on.

davefb

Guru
hmm if this is cycle scheme then i suppose that confuses matters,, isnt it the schemes property?

i'd not handle a weeks repair for a 24hrs old bike.... just seems pretty lame on not a great indication of the shop..

its what mickle says, they should have sent a new one out for it to swap...

i mean, 3 months down the line, repair... but 24hrs ? sheesh replacement bike.

abo

Well rightly or wrongly being the trusting type i intend to give them the benefit of the doubt. I will call in person on Friday and get an update and suggest a date for the repair which is fair and then if that passes i will ask for it to be swopped /exchanged. All within 14 days.

Basically i am just arming myself with good advice just in case they put me in an uncomfortable position. Maybe they will sort it on time and that will be that hopefully. Time will tell.

Thanks again for all the good advice received :thumbsup:

Might be worth asking the question on here

Top Bottom