could i get a day off uni as a result?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The idea of a low heartbeat might be undeployable as an excuse. Some lectures are so boring I can imagine heartbeats going down a lot...

Noodley

Dave5N said:
A degree ceremony in September? What sort of University was that?

I think there are more degrees now, so they have to be spread out a bit. In fact, I seem to think there was "late" graduations in the 80s for certain degrees - depending on exam times, especially for dental and medical students.

bonj2

simoncc said:
Same here. That's what it were like in the old days. Register in October, exams in May/June, degree certificate in the post in late July of year 3.

I did have to attend a degree ceremony though in the September when my parents made it clear to me that all their friends had been to degree ceremonies for their kids, had the photographs to prove it, and that they didn't intend to miss out especially after all the money they'd paid me. The university asked me to return the degree certificate so the Duchess of somewhere could give it me back.

I didn't have a degree ceremony, I saw it as basically a cynical way to milk people through the nose. Half way through the final year and the leaflets start coming through for jacket hire services, cumberbund hire, this hire, that hire, that fancy flat square hat with a tassle on hire, dress hire, photography services, this services, that services, certificate framing services, ... christ!
If unis had no other way of making money they wouldn't do bad off all the cash graduation ceremonies must bring in.
No, I just went to a dingy office in the basement and picked up my certificate from there, from a bint who refused to hand it over until i coughed up £90 in library fines for a book that I had taken out and deliberately binned out of spite due to it supposedly being the reference material for my electronics course, but not having any information on Manchester Carry Chains due to being published BEFORE they were invented in 1995. I figured they would be forced to buy a more updated version which had them in. Didn't help me, but I've obviously done those that followed in my footsteps a favour.

bonj2

no disrespect to the OP, but it smells like bragging as to how healthy he is to me. Good on you for having such a low heartbeat, very well done at having achieved such a healthy cardiovascular system. But really there's no need to boast about it.
Like, all these threads that go "Today I was cycling along at 25mph when a meaningless-event-that-I can't-really- remember-but-that-I'm- going-to-have -to-describe- anyway-because-it-was-supposedly-the-whole- point-of-the-thread occurred!" :sad:

Noodley

I think the OP was having a laugh. I hope!!

If mine had been measured when I was an undergraduate I dread to think what would have happened. Between alcohol, sex, sex, alcohol, trips to Amsterdam, alcohol, sex, sport, sport, sex, alcohol...

simoncc

Dave5N said:
A degree ceremony in September? What sort of University was that?

When my parents became aware that I'd graduated and they'd not been to a degree ceremony like the parents of my ex-school pals they wanted to know what was going on. I told them I'd decided not to have my certificate presented to me in June or July but posted to me. Under parental pressure I rang the university and found that they did mop-up ceremonies in September and I could attend one if I sent my degree certificate back. For reasons I never understood or was bothered to find out I was nearly the only white student there, most of the rest being Asian along with their parents. Maybe flights from Asia to the UK are cheaper in September than June.

OP
OP
T

Trillian

Noodley said:
I think the OP was having a laugh. I hope!!

Indeed, i was having a bit of a laugh having just found out that a none serious cyclist had such a low bp the most cycling i do is two miles to / from uni on road bike,

i've done the odd 20 mile round trip for the fun of it and all day mountain bike trail riding, but not all that much tbh

Top Bottom