Could I get my money back or an exchange on a new bike here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What you describe above is a marginal improvement of hydraulics over mechanical, and isn't exclusive,

On road bikes, then it's marginal over quality calipers TBH.

MTB's then hydraulic are massively more powerful and can be modulated far better, especially those brakes which vary the pressure/travel. And they are so much smoother and lighter to use. One finger.

@fossyant

To be fair, I wouldn't know the difference between Road and MTB callipers, because my gravel bike has MTB BB7s which ARE excellent, although I hear the road version of the BB7s are comparable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
May I ask which callipers you are rocking?

The MTB's in my house have Tektro mechanical vs Shimano SLX and SRAM Guide RS - the hydraulics much more expensive, but much more powerful - the Guides are 4 pots.

Road bikes, absolutely no point in discs - I could still stand the back end up an my fully loaded pannier commuter bike !

I think Tektro brand is where you went wrong with the calliper. You might find you'll prefer the BB7 or TRP to that by a long way.

Crankarm

Guru
This isn't our first disagreement. I suspect it won't be our last. What you describe above is a marginal improvement of hydraulics over mechanical, and isn't exclusive, SPYRE TRP have dual pistons if that's important to you. However, the BB7 is still perfectly adequate. Unless you are sheathing off 1mm of pad surface after every ride (if so, you need to assess your riding style), your will find the that the pad doesn't move out of optimal performance tolerances very often at all. Have you even tried using and comparing BB7 with equivalent in hydraulics before stating, or is your claim just hyperbole? There are already 3 people here stating they are great.

Why so confrontational Mr. Confused or should it be Mr. Angry? I just take a contrary view to you. It's clearly not ok with you. You need to take a chill pill. As it happens I have some considerable experience with brakes of all flavours including BB7 brakes and their woeful sibling BB5s which were awful. I also have experience with Spyre TRPs and hydraulic disc brakes, good ones mind Shimano XT and Hope, not cheap crap, so I feel qualified to offer an opinion. It is an opinion just that. The better make of cable disc brakes are ok, however hydraulic disc brakes are better. Given you are confused I thought some clarification for you was appropriate and you would receive kindly. Obviously not. Oh well, your problem not mine.

Last edited:
Well I would suggest you actually get some instruction into how hydraulic disc brakes work, how to set them up properly and how to maintain them.

And here you're implying that I haven't got this experience. I countered your claim that a single piston results in sub optimal braking, as I have zero problems coming to a quick stop. The maintenance required is trivial, even for high mileage and regular all weather use, but arguably maintaining fluid lines IS more complex and requires more tools. I'm far from freaking out. :laugh: Nice strawman though.:rofl:

Happy to agree to disagree. Have a great day!

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Now now Children this bickering will not assist the OP, start another thread about the superior hydraulic brakes versus the far inferior cable brakes if you want to argue it out.

Errrrr???? That's a bit rich. You're the one who pulled this guy's chain. I happened to agree and like your post.

...........That's why I prefer mechanical disc brakes (BB7, Spyre etc) and avoid electronic and hydraulic systems.

Completely OT but I would avoid like the plague any "mechanical disc brakes (BB7, Spyre etc)"

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
You seem on the way to getting it sorted. Any gesture for them to meet your costs for going back and forth with the bike?
No, nothing on that but of course this will mean another trip over to sort stuff out and get my saddlebag/pedals etc.

Nibor

Bewildered
Now now Children this bickering will not assist the OP, start another thread about the superior hydraulic brakes versus the far inferior cable brakes if you want to argue it out.
Just to put a cat among the pigeons I think you will find the Giant system is a Hybrid cable/hydraulic lol

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Are you invested in the business? Not saying that you are wrong, your commitment is admirable, but not everybody who works for somebody else does not always have that attitude.

I have no involvement with fixing or selling bikes, but I do a hands-on type job, and I often get asked to work extra hours/rest days/weekends to ensure things get done. Some staff won't put themselves out, some will. I earn good money on overtime, so it's a win-win for me, my employer, and the customer. It also means if I need an hour or two during the week to attend to personal business, I can go without officially taking time off - and nothing gets said because if my guvnor needs something urgent sorted ASAP, I'll oblige.. You need a decent working relationship though, which I have - but some managers don't. Last Sunday, 3 of us were doing work that was really the responsibility of a different manager, but he's a complete w****r so his staff all refused to do overtime. My guvnor then got his arm twisted from above to deal with it instead and he was able to get staff to come in.

Top Bottom