Could I get my money back or an exchange on a new bike here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

TBH, I'd sort it myself, it's just gear shifting. But that's me, I know I do a better job than a shop would. I generally pull shop bought bikes to bits before I ride them, and put them back together properly. But I'm just weird.
Without being disrespectful to the OP, not everybody has those skills, also having parted with £2K of his hard earned money you would expect it to be done for him. Depending on your disposition it's events like this that can set off other personal issues.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Without being disrespectful to the OP, not everybody has those skills, also having parted with £2K of his hard earned money you would expect it to be done for him. Depending on your disposition it's events like this that can set off other personal issues.

Quite agree. It's a long hike back to the shop though !

another 108 mile round trip!

To be fair, the fact that your having to travel that far isn't the retailers fault, however, admittedly they really should have checked it worked properly before handing it back. Nothing shakes your faith in the competence of paid mechanics like this kind of sloppy workmanship. It's one of the factors that led me to learning how to maintain and repair bikes myself. I wish you best of luck with getting your money back, and if I may, I suggest only buying a simple mechanical bike that you can easily learn to maintain yourself. That's why I prefer mechanical disc brakes (BB7, Spyre etc) and avoid electronic and hydraulic systems.

Completely OT but I would avoid like the plague any "mechanical disc brakes (BB7, Spyre etc)"
Aside from adjusting cable tension as the pads wear, which you don't have to with hydraulics, they have both been virtually maintenance free for me. YMMV. It depends how well the person setting them up can follow instructions I guess. Hydraulics on the other hand require special bleed kits, fluid, and know how to get setup just right (whilst avoiding an awful mess). Certainly not impossible, but definitely not worth the extra hassle IMO, I'd happily re-tension the brake cable every month (but in reality, it's more like every 2 or 3) to avoid having to bleed hydraulics and mess about with injecting fluids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right, I've spoken with him now and he was fine with it and we've kept it on good terms. I'm going in tomorrow to exchange the bike because I do want something...just not that one!

Crankarm

Guru
Aside from adjusting cable tension as the pads wear, which you don't have to with hydraulics, they have both been virtually maintenance free for me. YMMV. It depends how well the person setting them up can follow instructions I guess. Hydraulics on the other hand require special bleed kits, fluid, and know how to get setup just right (whilst avoiding an awful mess). Certainly not impossible, but definitely not worth the extra hassle IMO, I'd happily re-tension the brake cable every month (but in reality, it's more like every 2 or 3) to avoid having to bleed hydraulics and mess about with injecting fluids.

Well I would suggest you actually get some instruction into how hydraulic disc brakes work, how to set them up properly and how to maintain them. Maintenance is minimal, in fact fit and forget, except when needing to change pads which you would need to do even with mechanical cable disc brakes. Hydraulic disc brakes are just so much better than mechanical disc brakes. BB7s only one pad moves against the disc and you have to continually adjust the moveable one to keep the brakes working optimally. Hydraulic disc brakes both pads move and are self adjusting.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Right, I've spoken with him now and he was fine with it and we've kept it on good terms. I'm going in tomorrow to exchange the bike because I do want something...just not that one!

You seem on the way to getting it sorted. Any gesture for them to meet your costs for going back and forth with the bike?

Hydraulic disc brakes are just so much better than mechanical disc brakes. BB7s only one pad moves against the disc and you have to continually adjust the moveable one to keep the brakes working optimally. Hydraulic disc brakes are self adjusting.

This isn't our first disagreement. I suspect it won't be our last. What you describe above is a marginal improvement of hydraulics over BB7 mechanical, and it comes with the package of fluid line maintenance which is trickier trickier for novices. However, the BB7 is still perfectly adequate. Unless you are sheathing off 1mm of pad surface after every ride (if so, you need to assess your riding style), your will find the that the pad doesn't move out of optimal performance tolerances very often at all. When it does, it's a 3 second fix which can be performed along side your usual safety inspection, the BB7s are tooless too. Have you even tried using and comparing BB7 with equivalent in hydraulics before stating this, or is your claim just hyperbole? There are already 3 people here stating they are great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom