Could not book a bike space on EMR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I called to book a space for EMR Nottingham to King's Cross with a change in Grantham. The lady on the phone said she could not book me a space from Nottingham to Grantham but she got me a spot from Grantham to London booked for my bike. So what do I do about my bike on my journey from Nottingham to Grantham?

vickster

Legendary Member
I called to book a space for EMR Nottingham to King's Cross with a change in Grantham. The lady on the phone said she could not book me a space from Nottingham to Grantham but she got me a spot from Grantham to London booked for my bike. So what do I do about my bike on my journey from Nottingham to Grantham?
Ride it? It’s under 30 miles
Or take an earlier train that you can book on and hang around in Grantham?

or Is it that you don’t need to book otherwise as it’s a local service rather than intercity? so just rock up and hope you can get the bike on (doesn’t look like you need a reservation for cross country)

Grantham looks quite a detour from Nottingham to London though? Are there no direct trains?

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Ride it? It’s under 30 miles
Or take an earlier train that you can book on and hang around in Grantham?

or Is it that you don’t need to book otherwise as it’s a local service rather than intercity? so just rock up and hope you can get the bike on (doesn’t look like you need a reservation for cross country)

Grantham looks quite a detour from Nottingham to London though? Are there no direct trains?
This one was a lot cheaper. My train is at 5:50am,i don't think I can ride it. £27quid compared to £45 at other times when I was booking it. It's a last minute thing, I wasn't expecting to make this journey, caused by something beyond my control. Where do I go with my bike when I board it on the train to Grantham?

vickster

Legendary Member
This one was a lot cheaper. My train is at 5:50am,i don't think I can ride it. £27quid compared to £45 at other times when I was booking it. It's a last minute thing, I wasn't expecting to make this journey, caused by something beyond my control. Where do I go with my bike when I board it on the train to Grantham?
I can’t imagine you'll have an issue on a 5.50am train surely when bookings aren’t compulsory, just get there in good time, and ask where you need to wait

Also, did you not ask about the bike storage on the London train when you booked? If not, just ask a member of staff at Grantham as to where you need to be

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I can’t imagine you'll have an issue on a 5.50am train surely when bookings aren’t compulsory, just get there in good time, and ask where you need to wait

Also, did you not ask about the bike storage on the London train when you booked? If not, just ask a member of staff at Grantham as to where you need to be
It says on the emr website bookings are compulsory but when I called the lady said there were no spaces left or something like that. But I have space booked on the Grantham to London train.Coach K for the Grantham to London train for bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
It says on the emr website bookings are compulsory but when I called the lady said there were no spaces left or something like that. But I have space booked on the Grantham to London train.Coach K for the Grantham to London train for bikes.
Ummm well then you look on the platform as to where to stand for coach K?!

vickster

Legendary Member
This says which services need a reservation on EMR

Booking a bike space on the train
We strongly advise that you pre-book your bike space before you travel to avoid disappointment. Bike spaces must be booked before the day you travel – they can’t be reserved on the day.

Cycle reservations are essential for the following EMR routes:

• Services to and from London
  • Services between Liverpool and Norwich
To reserve a cycle space on an EMR train, simply call us on 03457 125 678, or email contact@eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk

robjh

Legendary Member
The EMR cycle policy says bookings are only needed on the main line to London - you don't need them on local trains such as Nottingham-Grantham. There is a notional limit of two per train but in reality train staff will usually tolerate more except if extreme overcrowding. At 5.50am I really wouldn't worry, you'll be fine.
Also it will probably be just 2 coaches so finding the right place shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:
Nottingham to Grantham is normally old rolling stock with space for 5-6 bikes and normally no need to book. I've once been on that train with the NZ Triathlon team and all their gear as the Midland Mainline was shut.....crazy scenes

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Nottingham to Grantham is normally old rolling stock with space for 5-6 bikes and normally no need to book. I've once been on that train with the NZ Triathlon team and all their gear as the Midland Mainline was shut.....crazy scenes
Where do I place my bike on the train?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If they'rs still using the same rolling stock as when I used them in March, there's a compartment at the back of the train to the right of the doors as you get on.

Seems like you are sorted with help from the nice folks on here. For future trips, if you are keen on cheap fares, as you seem to be, I can recommend bits of strategic cycling to/from advantageous stations. You can also have some nice bike rides/see some other bits of interesting country.
(From someone who has sat at hellifield on a dark 6am morn for a 10p ride to carlisle, taken a train london southampton for £3.30 for a trip to dorset)
You can also dodge bike carriage complications doing this.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If they're little two car trains like our Northern ones the conductor will be at the rear of the train operating the doors (if they have conductors down there). You won't know in advance whether the bike space will be at the front or bike of the train so stand where the front will be and if you're at the wrong end you can walk towards the conductor with your bike so it will make it easy for him/her to see that you need to board with a bike.

Top Bottom