Could not book a bike space on EMR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My advice is be prepared as you can to sling the bike on double quick.

Particularly true if the bike is going in a separate compartment, because you will have to load the bike, then jump off the train to nip back on again through the nearest carriage door - all within the scheduled 90 second stop.

No time for faffing with panniers, back packs, water bottles, or other sundry junk we touring cyclists carry.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
This one was a lot cheaper. My train is at 5:50am,i don't think I can ride it. £27quid compared to £45 at other times when I was booking it. It's a last minute thing, I wasn't expecting to make this journey, caused by something beyond my control. Where do I go with my bike when I board it on the train to Grantham?
At that time in the morning it will be a Class 156 Super Sprinter, possibly with an extra carriage (Class 153) on the end. There will be only two cars for the Class 156, but three if there is an extra Class 153.

Find the middle of the train, i.e. between the 2 cars. There will be one entrance door either side of the gangways - rubber bellows that allow you to walk between carriages. The one with the bike symbol is the one that you need. As another clue, it is the one without the toilet at that end.

If there are three, then you need to work out which one is the odd one, and go for the bit between the two that look the same.

It looks like the first train from Nottingham to Grantham starts there, so if you get there with a bit of time to spare you should have plenty of time to find the right carriage.

Edited due to confusion over where you are starting. Now sorted.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
05:50? Can't find that one on the timetable, but at that time in the morning it will be a Class 156 Super Sprinter, possibly with an extra carriage (Class 153) on the end. There will be only two cars for the Class 156, but three if there is an extra Class 153.

Find the middle of the train, i.e. between the 2 cars. There will be one entrance door either side of the gangways - rubber bellows that allow you to walk between carriages. The one with the bike symbol is the one that you need. As another clue, it is the one without the toilet at that end.

If there are three, then you need to work out which one is the odd one, and go for the bit between the two that look the same.

It looks like the first train from Grantham to Nottingham starts there, so if you get there with a bit of time to spare you should have plenty of time to find the right carriage.
The 05.50 appears to be a Nottingham-Skeggy service, so definitely not an express!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As above it’s only the inter city services that generally require booking. Turn up in plenty of time, get on the platform ready, and you’ll be fine. If train starts there you may be able to get on it, anything up to 10 mins before it departs. Be ready to change platforms at Newark.

Boudicca3

Every single year for over a decade I have got a train to Edale from London (via Sheffield or Manchester) in August or September and taken my bike. This year, for the first time I can't go because EMR states there are no bicycle reservations left - this is for each and every day - days I don't even want to travel and not even times I do. I find it very hard to believe that all of a sudden everyone is taking their bike on an EMR train. Can't remember what the old service was - LNER? Virgin? But never, ever had any issues.

vickster

Legendary Member
Every single year for over a decade I have got a train to Edale from London (via Sheffield or Manchester) in August or September and taken my bike. This year, for the first time I can't go because EMR states there are no bicycle reservations left - this is for each and every day - days I don't even want to travel and not even times I do. I find it very hard to believe that all of a sudden everyone is taking their bike on an EMR train. Can't remember what the old service was - LNER? Virgin? But never, ever had any issues.

Have you tried phoning Or emailing as per the website?
https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/trains-stations/on-board-the-train/bikes-on-trains

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

It's likely 'no reservations left' is a way of saying they no longer take reservations, but still take bikes.

Not ideal, because if there are a dozen bikes in front of you for a service, you won't get on, but you could still go and chance it.

I also agree with @vickster about contacting the operator or station directly.

A few years ago a party of us was told online 'no reservations between Newcastle and Berwick'.

One of us, who doesn't do online, decided to visit Newcastle station.

He returned with three reservations and paper tickets for each bike.

Boudicca3

Okay I have my answer. In the past I could always book a ticket direct from London to Edale and the first part would include the bike reservation (you don't need one from Sheffield to Edale) but because I tried to book the whole journey it said all bookings were full (why it should say 'all full' rather than 'you can't do is' is anyone's guess. Anyway their bike reservation online site is rubbish. I went to the Ticket Hall at King's Cross and not only got my reservations for September but also got my ticket £20 cheaper. Apparently, you can no longer book one ticket with exchange using EMR you must book separate strands of your journey. As the lovely woman at the ticket office said: 'Now you can see why we need ticket officers - will you sign the petition!' I duly did! Its on the RMT website in case anyone is interested.

Now for those who know the train network this might seem really dumb (why on earth would she book a train from London to Edale duh!) but in my defence (a) I have always done this in the past without issue (b) I travel often to Suffolk and Norfolk for a spot of birding and never had any issue and (c) If I'm travelling across the country and don't know the places etc life has just become that bit more complicated especially taking a bike on a train.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
EMR now say that any London trains (going to or escaping from) you must book a bike space, but I got on at Wellingborough (heading to Leicester) a few weeks ago without a reservation.

All other EMR routes you don't need to book apart from I think Liverpool - Norwich (I could be wrong on this) and they recommend pre booking your journey (regardless of bike or not) if doing Skegness over the summer, though their posters insinuate that you have to book.

Just checked on Trainline and you can book reservations through them:

1692896634142.png

furbo

I have taken my bike on EMR Norwich to Manchester on many occasions over the past 10 years.
I found that going into the ticket office ( lets hope they stay open) was often the most successful plan as they have access to all the train operating companies booking systems and can book your bike through any complicated multi leg routes in one hit.
On my last booking two weeks ago I found that clicking on the bike symbol on the online booking site allowed me to book my bike space online and collect the tickets at the station.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Okay I have my answer. In the past I could always book a ticket direct from London to Edale and the first part would include the bike reservation (you don't need one from Sheffield to Edale) but because I tried to book the whole journey it said all bookings were full (why it should say 'all full' rather than 'you can't do is' is anyone's guess. Anyway their bike reservation online site is rubbish. I went to the Ticket Hall at King's Cross and not only got my reservations for September but also got my ticket £20 cheaper. Apparently, you can no longer book one ticket with exchange using EMR you must book separate strands of your journey. As the lovely woman at the ticket office said: 'Now you can see why we need ticket officers - will you sign the petition!' I duly did! Its on the RMT website in case anyone is interested.

Now for those who know the train network this might seem really dumb (why on earth would she book a train from London to Edale duh!) but in my defence (a) I have always done this in the past without issue (b) I travel often to Suffolk and Norfolk for a spot of birding and never had any issue and (c) If I'm travelling across the country and don't know the places etc life has just become that bit more complicated especially taking a bike on a train.

I agree and try to always use the ticket office . The staff understandably know far more than me about the ridiculously complicated system for travelling with a bike, and can usually find a good solution.

Top Bottom