Could this be a scam ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yup 100% scam. I'd never heard of it until a few days ago myself.
I'd listed an armchair on FB Marketplace and got a bite within 10 minutes asking if still available.
Yes went the cry, to which they replied they would send a courier with the cash.
I though fook that for a lark, and a quick Google confirmed my suspicions.
I just replied saying sorry it's collection in person only.
I don't know if they further replied as I immediately blocked and reported the time wasting shyster :cursing:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Yup 100% scam. I'd never heard of it until a few days ago myself.
I'd listed an armchair on FB Marketplace and got a bite within 10 minutes asking if still available.
Yes went the cry, to which they replied they would send a courier with the cash.
I though fook that for a lark, and a quick Google confirmed my suspicions.
I just replied saying sorry it's collection in person only.
I don't know if they further replied as I immediately blocked and reported the time water shyster :cursing:
" I though fook that for a lark, and a quick Google confirmed my suspicions. "

So put me out of my misery how would they scam me ?

" I though fook that for a lark, and a quick Google confirmed my suspicions. "

So put me out of my misery how would they scam me ?
As mentioned up thread with the cheque, or there was some mention of online payment and the courier charging a fee when I searched it up IIRC.
I'm certainly no expert, but if you Google it there's loads of info on the subject👍

Bloke in a random white van turns up [1], in company teeshirt [2], gives you cash [3].

[1] Liveried and courier could be genuine but as paid for by buyer is iffy (no tracability), more likely in a plain van 'the spare van guv honest'
[2] Like we all know what a genuine tee-shirt looks like (even the paperwork come to that), but even if you do know what clobber should look like has none ever been stolen/borrowed/copied?
[3] Couriers don't carry cash [4]
[4] So cash from fake courier is all fake too?

Read of cases of courier and cash to pick up the item approach in Google but all were turned down by seller. I am still wondering how this scam works?

Twilkes

Guru
It's quite simple - the courier gives the seller cash and takes the item. The buyer then reports the item not received and requests a refund. The seller then counters that the item was not paid as there is no evidence of the transfer of cash. The buyer then leaps out of the rabbit, taking the seller not only by surprise but totally unarmed!

Top Bottom