Could this be a scam ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have an item for sale on Facebook marketplace, a Tow Bar mount Thule bike rack, asking price £175.00. Someone says he wants it and will send a Chronopost courier tomorrow with the cash to pick up the rack.
Chronopost seems to be part of DPD.
As anyone used this system ?
Could this be some sort of scam, if so how would it work ?
As yet I have no arranged anything and exchanged no details.
Your thoughts please.

Adam4868

Guru
Where's the buyer from ? Can you see his profile,any reviews etc.Ask him for his phone no and check him out ?

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I asked the potential buyer for a full address and contact number.
They replied " I would like to explain but I am hard of hearing and have a problem communicating by phone, "

I have replied "To many red flags here, please do not contact me again"

I still cannot see the potential scam ? maybe I need to let it 'develop' a little more. Maybe I will be asked to pay insurance money for the courier payment ?

No harm done apart from a little time wasted. :blush:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If he can give the barcode for you to scan that eBay give ‘pick up’ buyers then you would presumably be covered. However, I cannot see a courier company agreeing to do that.

Chris S

Legendary Member
How does this scam work then ?
The courier turns up with a cheque (not cash) for more than the amount. You then hand over the 'change' and the item. The cheque then bounces.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Where the buyer would like a courier, they need to pay you so you can arrange it.

Not sure how FB works but in eBay a common scam is for the buyer to arrange a courier, then the buyer keeps the towbar and then opens an "item not received" against you. As they have arranged the courier themselves, you will have no tracking and will be forced to refund.

I'd insist on cash on collection only.

Adam4868

Guru
If something sounds too easy or good to be true....
"A common ploy by criminals is they state that they are sending a courier to pick the goods, and the courier is bringing the money with them. The criminal then states that the courier firm will be in contact to organise collection. The seller then receives an invoice from a courier company, normally a falsified invoice purporting to be from a well-known courier company.

"The criminal states that the courier will bring the purchase price plus the extra money from the invoice with them, but this is obviously a lie."

classic33

Leg End Member
DPD drivers aren't allowed to carry cash on behalf of the customer, in whatever form. Unless it's been booked in as a delivery for the customer. In which case it will be in a sealed package with full declaration made on the contents.

Top Bottom