Could this replace SPD pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Never heard of Pitbull pedal system before, you still have a big lump fastened to your shoe.

The original 2 bolt Shimano SPD with the recessed cleats will take some beating for me, combined with double sided pedals its the easiest to use with the advantage of being able to walk in the shoes comfortably.

So Pitbull is a dead end from me.

The original 2 bolt Shimano SPD with the recessed cleats will take some beating for me, combined with double sided pedals its the easiest to use with the advantage of being able to walk in the shoes comfortably.
Exactly.

A great video if you want to watch an allen key in use.
How do the cleats work? How do they attach to the pedals? Are those long cyindrical bars the pedals? How does the quick release work? You can walk in them? No float!!!

These look like a solution looking for a problem..

Good afternoon,

Wait until you see Di2 Toe Clips, straps and shoe plates.:smile::smile:

A small motor tightens or releases the straps and raises or lowers two vertical plates to restrain the foot around a vertical face at the rear of the pedal.

How do the cleats work? How do they attach to the pedals? Are those long cyindrical bars the pedals? How does the quick release work? You can walk in them? No float!!!
These are new to me, but looking at various photos the bars are the pedals and imagine https://fairwheelbikes.com/aerolite-titanium-pedals/ with the cleat split into 2 pieces and only the rear half used.

I first thought that the pedal bar sat under the metal spring plate but it seems that it sits over the spring plate with the spring plate providing compression between the shoe base, the pedal bar and the curved cleat. This curved cleat seems to encase around 160degress of the bar which seems at first glance to be surprisingly little.

Their site says

The cleats are available either standard or with a 5-degree float for optimal fit. The easy to engage cleat system allows you to maximize watts and get 3-4 power strokes ahead of the pack at every start! (Please note some videos and images show a steel cleat, our production models will be a lightweight, durable glass-filled nylon polymer!)

Is it worrying that all the prototypes use aluminium or steel and the production ones change the cleat material that dramatically?

There is/was even take about special shoes designed to make walking easier, given the nature of the binding mechanism and the new polymer for the cleats it is not clear if walking any distance is practical.

How much? Still not sure.

It looks like they couldn't come up with a better system than SPD so they improved/reinvented an idea from the 1980s, yup Aerolite is that old. :-(

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Its claimed USP on its website is speed of engagement

"We believe the Pitbull Bike Pedal is the absolute quickest to engage... The easy to engage cleat system allows you to maximize watts and get 3-4 power strokes ahead of the pack at every start"

http://pitbullbikepedal.com/

The only races I've ever seen where "power strokes at every start" matter are on the track or TTs, where riders are held up engaged in their cleats anyway. So I don't get it.

If you look at their website there is a clip presumably from some American daytime
TV news type programme. A perfectly coiffed beauty with absolutely perfect teeth ( send the bill to.....) is spouting on about the wonders of these pedals. She almost seems to understand what she is talking about.

Is she for real? Has she ever ridden a bike, or is it all a stage managed promo stunt.

All very odd.

Good afternoon,

Wait until you see Di2 Toe Clips, straps and shoe plates.:smile::smile:

A small motor tightens or releases the straps and raises or lowers two vertical plates to restrain the foot around a vertical face at the rear of the pedal.

These are new to me, but looking at various photos the bars are the pedals and imagine https://fairwheelbikes.com/aerolite-titanium-pedals/ with the cleat split into 2 pieces and only the rear half used.

I first thought that the pedal bar sat under the metal spring plate but it seems that it sits over the spring plate with the spring plate providing compression between the shoe base, the pedal bar and the curved cleat. This curved cleat seems to encase around 160degress of the bar which seems at first glance to be surprisingly little.

Their site says

The cleats are available either standard or with a 5-degree float for optimal fit. The easy to engage cleat system allows you to maximize watts and get 3-4 power strokes ahead of the pack at every start! (Please note some videos and images show a steel cleat, our production models will be a lightweight, durable glass-filled nylon polymer!)

Is it worrying that all the prototypes use aluminium or steel and the production ones change the cleat material that dramatically?

There is/was even take about special shoes designed to make walking easier, given the nature of the binding mechanism and the new polymer for the cleats it is not clear if walking any distance is practical.

How much? Still not sure.

It looks like they couldn't come up with a better system than SPD so they improved/reinvented an idea from the 1980s, yup Aerolite is that old. :-(

Bye

Ian
I knew I'd seen a similar pedal before. Good researching there.

Top Bottom