Could you cycle from London to Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have done it twice now not for charity but just because I wished to go for a long ride. I did not start in London thou I started in York.

OP
OP
N

nightingale

Hi, Sorry you've having problems with our link. I've just been on and it seems to be working ok now...if a little slow. The bike ride costs £99 and we are asking for £1500 in sponsorship. My number at Nightingale is 020 8673 3495 if you have any questions.

Ravenz

nightingale said:
we are asking for £1500 in sponsorship. My number at Nightingale is 020 8673 3495 if you have any questions.

...blimey, Alzheimers are just asking for £1200 for their 'run'

not that I can afford whatever anyways

jay clock

Massive member
I am very much in favour of people doing tough things for charity, and for many people this would be tough.

What I am not keen on is them funding what (for me at least) would be a fun weekend away out of sponsorship. Assuming the real cost of the trip is more than £99, then the sponsors are paying the costs of the trip above that amount.

I am doing a Half Ironman in July and getting sponsorship. For me it will be a tough challenge, but the entry fees, training, kit and hotel are all coming from my pocket

Rant over, and hope the ride goes well

If you want to sponsor me go to http://www.justgiving.com/julian-tri-harder

Chris James

Über Member
jay clock said:
I am very much in favour of people doing tough things for charity, and for many people this would be tough.

What I am not keen on is them funding what (for me at least) would be a fun weekend away out of sponsorship. Assuming the real cost of the trip is more than £99, then the sponsors are paying the costs of the trip above that amount.

Yeah, I agree with this. A friend of mine got to go up Kilimanjaro and to Everest Base Camp via a charity. As far as I am aware she didn't pay a penny to do either, so in these cases the costs came straight out of the fundraising. Fair enough, she raised lots fo money for the charity in the process though.

She was quite up front about it but I personally would have felt uncomfortable asking people for sponsorship when (say) 30p of every pound they gave me just went to pay for my holiday.

Tynan

Veteran
two way street init, as long as the charity comes out ahead what's the problem?

I suspect that if they could find people to do it that paid their way and raised that sort of sponsorship, they'd use them

yello

To be fair (or at least, I'll try to be), whatever personal reservations people have about this sort of thing, I do think it best that you do a quick cost benefit analysis and choose to keep your criticisms for a more worthy cause. Charities are finding it increasingly difficult to raise money and the individual does always have the option not to sponsor.

And I speak/type as someone with self same reservations. :sad:

Chris James

Über Member
yello said:
To be fair (or at least, I'll try to be), whatever personal reservations people have about this sort of thing, I do think it best that you do a quick cost benefit analysis and choose to keep your criticisms for a more worthy cause. Charities are finding it increasingly difficult to raise money and the individual does always have the option not to sponsor.

And I speak/type as someone with self same reservations. :sad:

Not sure if this is aimed at me, but I donate to charity directly and by direct debit that is gift aided, not just when someone fancies a holiday!

Top Bottom