Couldnt see more than about 10m

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Tonights loop of 25 miles had to be the weirdest I've done yet. Heavy fog, cold,dark, no wind and very spooky in the country lanes...my head torch batteries failed and my spares were in my other jacket at home:rolleyes:

...but it was fun (ish)...laughing at all the morons in their centrally heated tin cans in the rush hour....I bet most of them were travelling less distance than I was even...I really despise motorists...I stopped off in a churchyard, very spooky with the moon and the fog amoungst the tombstones....I'll bet 99% of the tin can morons dont even know it's there...butit's abeautiful place

Brock

Sounds wonderful. Cycling regularly really makes you feel part of the planet doesn't it?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Tonights loop of 25 miles had to be the weirdest I've done yet. Heavy fog, cold,dark, no wind and very spooky in the country lanes...my head torch batteries failed and my spares were in my other jacket at home:rolleyes:

...but it was fun (ish)...laughing at all the morons in their centrally heated tin cans in the rush hour....I bet most of them were travelling less distance than I was even...I really despise motorists...I stopped off in a churchyard, very spooky with the moon and the fog amoungst the tombstones....I'll bet 99% of the tin can morons dont even know it's there...butit's abeautiful place

The moon among the tombstones?

What are you on and can I have an armful of it please?

trio25

Über Member
I love being out at this time of year, I was out on the mountain bike on tuesday and at one point my friend turned to me and said that you really could believe we were the only two in the world.

Blue

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Tonights loop of 25 miles had to be the weirdest I've done yet. Heavy fog, cold,dark, .my head torch batteries failed .I stopped off in a churchyard, very spooky with the moon and the fog amoungst the tombstones....

Cycling in fog, at night and without lights, I hope you don't end up joining the residents of the graveyard on a permanent basis :blush:

girofan

trio25 said:
I love being out at this time of year, I was out on the mountain bike on tuesday and at one point my friend turned to me and said that you really could believe we were the only two in the world.

If your friend is male I would be very careful with comments like that.
You may bite off more than you can chew!

girofan

Unless of course you are a woman, but then the same still applies.:blush:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

.. I ha dlights...it was just the head torch that failed. I had two more on the front bars and two on the rear, flashing and static. It was just astrange spooky experience, but a good one tombstones are there to remembe rpeople not forget about them

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Visibility of 10m? Many of us old farts can remember the proper 'pea-soupers' when you could not see your hand in front of your face so that was less than one metre visibility - 10 m. would have been a luxury!
The densest fog that I drove in was in the winter of '68 - driving between Basingstoke and Alton with my front seat passenger perched on the bonnet and shouting directions to me to keep me on the road (Speed was about 4mph)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

on the small lanes last night it was like that...barely a metre, but on the A roads with the traffic moving the air it was about 10m I guess. There were also clear patches. One thing I will do if I ever ride in fog again is to attach a bright torch low down on my fork somehow to the light gets under the fog (like a car fog light)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Love cycling in dense fog - spent a period in the winter in the early 90's commuting for about a week in pea soup stuff out in the dark lanes of cheshire !!

Top Bottom