Council Complaints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Now in work having gone arse-over-tit due to an untrimmed branch on a cycle path. The branch managed to sneak into my spokes and has completely busted my front wheel. A Fulcrum Racing 7, if you're interested - spokes out, wheel absolutely buckled beyond belief.

I've given the council a ring and given details of the incident - they've opted to send out an insurance claim form.

I wonder, have any of you had experience with complains to the council? I'm looking to recoup my costs for the front wheel (i think roughly £100? Does that sound reasonable?)

screenman

Legendary Member
Did you not see it?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have my doubts .... otherwise think of all those leaf related tumbles and ice that would suddenly open up.

Was there any way that the council could have known about the branch and should have done anything about it. But if you knew about it then why did you hit it. I think it would be difficult to prove any negligence.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
The area is under constant redevelopment due to the renewal of the waterfront and it's not well lit. I didn't see it at all, and when i got up I had to check to see what i'd hit because it was such a weird way to come off. The branch looks flimsy, but is in fact absolutely solid.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You could try complaining to the Branch Manager?

I have complained bitterly to the County Council about them littering bumps and ramps all over the village. The asshats won't even acknowledge my letters now. Start gentle and work up to going Medieval on their butts.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
You could try complaining to the Branch Manager?

I have complained bitterly to the County Council about them littering bumps and ramps all over the village. The asshats won't even acknowledge my letters now. Start gentle and work up to going Medieval on their butts.

Oh, i think i shall. This is the second incident at the same area and i promised them a visit from my solicitor the last time (blue rope from their workmen strung up at chest height across the bike path. A suddent dismount from the bike at ~20mph was not expected) if it wasn't sorted. It was within an 8 hour timeframe.

The point is, this untrimmed branch has completely destroyed my wheel. Spokes are done, rim is misshapen. I want my money!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Good luck. I have a £4000 car trapped in the garage. I can't even get it out of the road to sell it. They don't care even a little bit.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Always worth a go, though I can't see it going anywhere without something sturdy & formal - scour the net - there's probably a template somewhere or other. You'll probably have to go for it, chapter & verse.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't want to be negative about this but....

The weather has been atrocious for the last few days as we all know yet you somehow managed to ride into/over a fallen branch on a cycle path? I haven't got all the facts (like what is an untrimmed branch, a fallen branch or a growing branch that protrudes into the path?) but my initial reaction to your tale is why didn't you watch where you were going as a fallen branch would not be entirely unexpected? It appears to be a case of riding without due care unless you can explain differently.

IMO you will just have to stand the cost of your apparent carelessness and next time be a bit more cautious. Why would the council foot the bill?

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I don't want to be negative about this but....

The weather has been atrocious for the last few days as we all know yet you somehow managed to ride into/over a fallen branch on a cycle path? I haven't got all the facts (like what is an untrimmed branch, a fallen branch or a growing branch that protrudes into the path?) but my initial reaction to your tale is why didn't you watch where you were going as a fallen branch would not be entirely unexpected? It appears to be a case of riding without due care unless you can explain differently.

IMO you will just have to stand the cost of your apparent carelessness and next time be a bit more cautious. Why would the council foot the bill?

It is a dimly lit area at the quayside, and there was a branch protruding from a tree at about ankle height (it was dark and despite my lights i didn't see it). I don't often take the route because the council are redeveloping the waterfront which means the route through this area changes every week or so. You have to be diligent to make sure you don't end up riding onto the road. I was on my guard and went past two pedestrians, only to suddenly end up flat on my back. Look here. The offending tree is just alongside the cyclist on the left. How would i spot a branch at that height in the dark? A poorly lit area with foliage left untrimmed. It's a freak accident I'll give you that, but it is still the council's responsbility to maintain their paths and roads so that injuries don't occur.

iKVFL3s.jpg
ZCkVofU.jpg

I'm fairly sure that that's some substantial damage i've taken here and i'm quite lucky i've not ended up with more than just a cut on my shin.

You sir are a complete tit ! An envoy for this countrys blame culture molly coddled self-gratification artist who thinks anything that happens to them is someone elses fault , not their own ! Be responsible for your own actions

Not sure if this is a piss-take or not, but i am more than responsible for my own actions. That said, i can't afford a new wheel, and i'm fairly sure this one isn't salvageable. The council take my money for public services, i'd like it if they kept the paths in a decent order, reasonable well-lit and next time i'll be able to avoid the bloody tree. And if they can't do that in a suitable fashion then i'll bill them for damages from having used their poor-kept paths.

Top Bottom