Council have made my commute a nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
There is a dual carriageway on my route to work that used to be okay to cycle on. It used to have two lanes and I was able to cycle in the left lane with traffic often moving into the next lane to overtake me and give me room.
Now however, the council have changed the road in both directions and turned it into a signal lane road (but kept the double lane width).
Link to Map
They have put diagonal stripes across the whole of one lane on either side of the road. This would be okay if the lane closed was the overtaking lane as people would still be able to give me room. However, on the commute home, they have opted to close the inside lane creating a pinch point here and here.
They are also making a traffic signal ped crossing here, for reasons I cannot understand as there are hardly any pedestrians around here.

The speed limit is currently 40 although that is just temporary. I can imagine the speed limit would be 50 or 60. Which if course means that people will be doing close to 70 (wide open road, no speed cameras, police rarely venture this far).

So I now have the unfortunate problem of having to negotiate these problematic areas. There is another route I could take which involves going through a caravan park and crossing a train crossing, but realistically it is not a convenient route (it is when the weather is bad though).
Its not like I can ride on the stripes either because they are that bumpy and rough, I would end up falling off. And taking primary through the pinch points would be very dangerous with cars approaching at break-neck speeds.

Why have the council decided to do this? The road was much safer before and everyone got to where they wanted to go a lot quicker.
I am going to get a very bright rear light so that when the nights draw in, cars can see me (most of the route is unlit).

boybiker

Guru
Welcome to my world, enjoy! :thumbsup:

sickboyblue

Why have they done that? There's no houses there, only a couple of pubs and a camp/caravan site. and AFAIK it's not an accident blackspot. Strange!

400bhp

Guru
This happened on the A57 in Irlam near me. It was a NSL and I suspect was pretty dangerous with passing traffic at speed.

It's now a single lane 40 with cross hatchings where the inside lane used to be.

It's fine to ride on the hatchings. You will not fall off. The small annoyances are that it will be a little less smooth and more prone to punctures (because of additional debris and unlikely to be cleaned regularly). The big upside will be that it will essentially be your lane.

It is likely to end up being a 40mph limited road and the council are likely to have already decided on the speed limitso you could enquire.

I guess they could have put in a narrow cycle lane towards the left of the cross hatchings, but that would assume some pragmatism which I haven't seen much in council circles.

Reactions: gaz

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As 400bhp mentioned, now there's a whole free lane, maybe you should petition for a cycle lane to be placed... You're in a cycle club (i think) so there's a few supporters. Does your local MP ride a bike? Who cares? Write to them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Where they have painted hatch markings on the previous outside lane - cars should still be able to drive over them to give you a safe pass, whether the white lines surrounding the hatched area are solid or broken.

Where they have painted the hatched area on the previous inside lane - they have provided you with your very own area in which to cycle (if I am visualising this correctly).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...providing the pinch points aren't an obstacle forcing him into the main carriageway... or bunny hopping over them McAskil stylee :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Matthew, do you not remember what happened there last year ?

A little girl was killed and 7 injured turning right before 'The Bells' near the Esso station. It's a better design now as it's slowed traffic down. You don't need primary here, ride just to the right of the lines, then if someone comes close, you have the chevrons to go for - they won't knock you off, just a bit bumpy.

As for the crossings, you have a camp site and a popular pub there. The traffic in and out of the 'carvery' pub is busy, and the road was dangerous as it was. This is a big improvement. There is plenty of room here if you don't use primary, you have no reason to.

I've been using this road longer than you've been on the planet, and I think these changes will save lives - there have been some nasty accidents on this section of road.

The accident last year was tragic.

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/girl-k...ales-crash-named-as-sadie-mcgrady-654201.html

fossyant

PS The road will be a 40, not 70 ! Currently 40 due to the works, but it's a 1 mile section of 70, with a few busy junctions off it, right decision has been made.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

A little girl was killed and 7 injured turning right before 'The Bells' near the Esso station. It's a better design now as it's slowed traffic down. You don't need primary here, ride just to the right of the lines, then if someone comes close, you have the chevrons to go for - they won't knock you off, just a bit bumpy.

As for the crossings, you have a camp site and a popular pub there. The traffic in and out of the 'carvery' pub is busy, and the road was dangerous as it was. This is a big improvement. There is plenty of room here if you don't use primary, you have no reason to.

I've been using this road longer than you've been on the planet, and I think these changes will save lives - there have been some nasty accidents on this section of road.

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/girl-k...ales-crash-named-as-sadie-mcgrady-654201.html
Thanks for allowing me to understand why the changes have been made.

The road is still a problem for me though. I am popping up a video now of the current way I negotiate it, so people on here can give me advice of where to go.

classic33

Leg End Member

Puts it in a different light, entirely. Just hope it works.

fossyant

I'd opt to ride the lumpy scenic route through Gronnant and you can drop right down opposite where you work. Lumpy, but great training. Gronnant Road from near the Peugeot Dealer, through Gronnant, up the hill, track along, past near the fishery and you are outside work.

Top Bottom