Counselling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

How does one go about speaking to one of these people? Is it done through your GP or by other means?

I know a few people who do this on a regular basis and it works wonders, must be a good way of blowing off steam

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How does one go about speaking to one of these people? Is it done through your GP or by other means?

I know a few people who do this on a regular basis and it works wonders, must be a good way of blowing off steam
In my experience it's GP first, referral, and then see whether the people you're referred to have any fob off addresses when they can't help. I found someone very competent from the fob-off list but it was pretty much after the NHS computer said no.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

In my experience it's GP first, referral, and then see whether the people you're referred to have any fob off addresses when they can't help. I found someone very competent from the fob-off list but it was pretty much after the NHS computer said no.
And did you find the whole thing useful?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If you've got the cash, it might be useful to look at a private counsellor. They're just as qualified and monitored, and it gives you the freedom to find a counsellor that you get on with, which is crucial to the whole process. The problem with the NHS is that it is significantly underfunded so no matter how much they want to help, their ability to do so can be extremely limited.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If you've got the cash, it might be useful to look at a private counsellor. They're just as qualified and monitored, and it gives you the freedom to find a counsellor that you get on with, which is crucial to the whole process. The problem with the NHS is that it is significantly underfunded so no matter how much they want to help, their ability to do so can be extremely limited.
This is soooo wrong. Private therapies is like the Wild West. The only respected professional club is the BABCP.

And just to clarify counselling is not equal to or the same as psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is an evidence based thoroughly trialled and researched practice. Counselling is not.

vickster

Legendary Member
When I had it I went private (through Bupa). It was at least a 4 month waiting list through my GP which wasn't going to work for me as an acute rather than more chronic or long term issue.
You can also choose who to see as above.
I found it useful to offload on someone who didn't know me. I started to feel I was becoming a burden to my friends, even though they said they were always happy to listen. Mine was for stress caused by a series of events precipitated by being knocked off my bike. I might have been ok without but my GP was concerned and it was helpful at that point :smile:
If I was to go again, I probably wouldn't see the same counsellor as we didn't gel but that's definitely not a reason to not do

Hope it works out for you :smile:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
This is soooo wrong. Private therapies is like the Wild West. The only respected professional club is the BABCP.

And just to clarify counselling is not equal to or the same as psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is an evidence based thoroughly trialled and researched practice. Counselling is not.
Sorry. I assumed that anyone looking for a health care professional would look for someone with the proper qualifications and accreditations.

And yes, there's a big difference between counselling and psychotherapy but the OP asked about counselling.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

Sorry. I assumed that anyone looking for a health care professional would look for someone with the proper qualifications and accreditations.

And yes, there's a big difference between counselling and psychotherapy but the OP asked about counselling.

Sorry. Bad reaction to your reaction to my post. You're correct to point out that one needs to seek out a counsellor with the proper qualifications and accreditations.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed

Unfortunately there are unscrupulous companies that charge inexperienced people money to give them a piece of paper at the end of a weeks course that makes the trainee able to become accredited. This means the 'counsellor' or 'therapist' do technically have 'proper qualifications and accreditations'. They do not! and I have had to unpick the damage done by these people on too many occasions. Unfortunately people who are looking for the professional help they need, are in a place (emotionally and mental health wise), that may not lend to steering through the quagmire of 'proper qualifications and accreditations'.

There are 100x the number of 'pay a fee and join' clubs to the BABCP or BPS respected ones. The problem being the general public can't tell the difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
My lady was BACP senior accredited. I would assume that all the counsellors funded by Bupa and other PH companies would be suitably qualified?
You can easily search for someone local on the website, see all their qualifications etc and then contact direct

http://finder.bupa.co.uk/Consultant/search/?fspecialityId[]=103&fgender[]=&ffeeAssured=&fhospitalNetworkId=&qk=Counselling+&ql=&qlo=&qla=&qn=&order=&rpp=10&hospitalSwiftId=&fcataract=&giottoFormFlag_consultant=1#start

I'm not sure a GP would refer someone seeking to 'blow off steam' for NHS counselling? I personally find close friends good for this, but the post accident situation was different and the GP referred me at that time :smile: I was told a month wait but it transpired to be much longer

Another option if available is an employee assistance line through work. I have colleagues that have made use of such a helpline

Last edited:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My lady was BACP senior accredited. I would assume that all the counsellors funded by Bupa and other PH companies would be suitably qualified?
You can easily search for someone local on the website, see all their qualifications etc and then contact direct

http://finder.bupa.co.uk/Consultant/search/?fspecialityId[]=103&fgender[]=&ffeeAssured=&fhospitalNetworkId=&qk=Counselling+&ql=&qlo=&qla=&qn=&order=&rpp=10&hospitalSwiftId=&fcataract=&giottoFormFlag_consultant=1#start

I'm not sure a GP would refer someone seeking to 'blow off steam' for NHS counselling? I personally find close friends good for this, but the post accident situation was different and the GP referred me at that time :smile: I was told a month wait but it transpired to be much longer

Another option if available is an employee assistance line through work. I have colleagues that have made use of such a helpline

It's your right as a citizen to request to be referred to an IAPT service even if it's to 'blow off steam'. This brilliant service was commissioned at a cost of over £750 million pounds over a five year period for mild to moderate mental health and emotional disorders.

Top Bottom