Counselling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
MrsR says:

It is extremely important to find the right counsellor for you. I have gained a first class degree in Humanistic Counselling, have become a registered member of the BACP and have to undergo continued CPD to maintain registration.

Although I have these qualifications, that is not what makes me a good counsellor. The acceptance, empathy and genuineness required by the counsellor in a person centered counselling relationship cannot be manufactured - it is a way of being. Although the academic knowledge is important, it is the counsellor's way of being that makes the difference in whether the counselling relationship is successful or not. However, the person centred approach isn't for everybody and a good counsellor will establish wirh the client what is right for them and refer on if necessary.

CBT is an alternative therapy for people who want to be offered strategies and techniques to cope with their issues. Person Centred Therapy is about exploring the client's own potential and the client developing their own strategies. Both are equally valid IMO, depending on the client's individual needs.

Last edited:
Any relationship between a counsellor and client is going to be more about the personal relationship than qualification

You may have a highly qualified counsellor, but if for any reason you don't get on at a personal level you could be better off with a lesser qualified counsellor that you feel you can trust and open up to

That is something that only the individual can decide

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
MrsR says:

It is extremely important to find the right counsellor for you. I have gained a first class degree in Humanistic Counselling, have become a registered member of the BACP and have to undergo continued CPD to maintain registration.

Although I have these qualifications, that is not what makes me a good counsellor. The acceptance, empathy and genuineness required by the counsellor in a person centered counselling relationship cannot be manufactured - it is a way of being. Although the academic knowledge is important, it is the counsellor's way of being that makes the difference in whether the counselling relationship is successful or not. However, the person centred approach isn't for everybody and a good counsellor will establish wirh the client what is right for them and refer on if necessary.

CBT is an alternative therapy for people who want to be offered strategies and techniques to cope with their issues. Person Centred Therapy is about exploring the client's own potential and the client developing their own strategies. Both are equally valid IMO, depending on the client's individual needs.
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. CBP (the correct term). Is scientifically backed and thoroughly researched and validated and has been since the 70's. CBP was founded when Dr Beck was trying to prove Counselling worked and proved the opposite. PCC is not scientifically grounded and was part of a 'movement' in the 60/70's where it should have stayed.

Edit: and my points re the BACP as still as above.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the OP. In my experience, you'll struggle to get counselling on the NHS. There are other options, and many charities that offer it at a reduced rate, or even free. We were having a bad time after my FIL died, massive pressure from MIL and her care (she refused to manage anything in her life - and is still the same), we had my dodgy surgery, my son recently type 1 and stuff was falling apart.

My wife accessed counselling via a carers support network (main carer for her mum and our son) and also through the cancer charity. I accessed a few sessions privately via a charity, I paid. I'd previously asked for counselling via the NHS, and even met with the Clinical Director of my Trust because of dodgy surgery I had, but despite promises, noting happened.

Go seek out a local charity and pay for the service. My experience of the NHS is they give you a few forms to fill in, and then give you a link to mindfullness videos. Just like accessing physio, you can't get it. If you need help, best go pay for it.

Tin Pot

Guru
Of my small group of close friends and family six are diagnosed as depressed, five receive drugs, one (a child) receives counselling.

Top Bottom