Counselling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
That wasn't what you asked, was it? You said BACP accredited qualifications weren't accepted for NHS employment. You challenged me to find a job where that that was the essential qualification - two seconds on NHS jobs showed you were wrong (and there's lots more on there).

You claim BABCP qualifications are superior but it isn't even an accredited register.

Do you really want to carry on digging?
I initially didn't ask fark all. I made a statement and you attacked it aggressively and I retorted. As to carry on digging? Wtf you on about? My points have been made and backed up.

Just to clarify, my point is that almost anyone from any background with a few non descript courses can join the the BACP as is easily checked by googling and checking out the 'counsellors' qualifications and experience.
This isn't possible with the BABCP as you need to have a core mental health registration such as SW, RMN or Dr (GMC).
If you don't, then you have to go through a very difficult portfolio process (ask any PCC who has to do this as PCC Qualifications don't count for BABCP Core Skills accreditation) .
Then you need a minimum of PgDip and 200 hours face to face delivered CBP hours with 40 hours of Clinical Supervision and demonstrate CPD before they even consider your application for accreditation.
The BABCP is taking CBP out of the Wild West and bringing it into the professional world where it belongs.
And I have to say your statement that IAPT professionals are lowly qualified, insulting and offensive to those that deliver a fantastic service in difficult circumstances (NB: I've not worked for IAPT, but I do have a good working knowledge of the model and have colleagues and friends who do).
And as a Consultant who has been involved in setting up IAPT services you should hang you head in shame at not being able to deliver services as per the IAPT model. The waiting list times are a disgrace in some areas and can be as long as 3 years for Complex Case CBP.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For a supposedly professional person, you don't seem to have understood the ethical bit of not slagging off your colleagues...
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Wind your aggressive neck in.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How does one go about speaking to one of these people? Is it done through your GP or by other means?

I know a few people who do this on a regular basis and it works wonders, must be a good way of blowing off steam
As you'll have gathered there's a fair bit of disagreement about what constitutes good-quality counselling!

Speaking personally, I got a lot of benefit a few years ago from a local semi-voluntary service (pay what you can afford) operated with the support of local churches, but in a completely non-religious way. My local NHS now has a self-referral online system.

If all you need is a chance to blow off steam every so often a friend to listen and who won't try to solve your problems for you might be enough. Otherwise it's a case of hitting the internet and NHS referrals, and anyone else you trust. A decent person should offer an introductory session free.

simon.r

Person
I'm not qualified to join in the debate about which organisation is better, but I can tell you that MrsR has recently gained a first class honours degree in Humanistic Counselling Practice and joined the BACP.

As I understand it she had to have the degree, to have done several hundred hours of supervised counselling and to pass an ethical exam before she could join as a full member.

It was a process that took 4 years and a lot of hard work.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm not qualified to join in the debate about which organisation is better, but I can tell you that MrsR has recently gained a first class honours degree in Humanistic Counselling Practice and joined the BACP.

As I understand it she had to have the degree, to have done several hundred hours of supervised counselling and to pass an ethical exam before she could join as a full member.

It was a process that took 4 years and a lot of hard work.
FYI a Nursing Degree alone is a minimum of 4,600 Hours.

simon.r

Person
FYI a Nursing Degree alone is a minimum of 4,600 Hours.

She's got one of those as well:tongue:

(Well, to be fair, not a degree, she was a nurse back when they valued things other than academic qualifications. She did make it as far as Staff Nurse / temporary Sister though, so I guess that counts for something?)

As I say, I'm not able to contribute to the debate about which organisation is better, but to be so dismissive of the BACP seems unfair, based on my, admittedly limited, experience.

simon.r

Person
To add another option to the OP's question:

Some, mainly larger, employers have something called an "Employee Assistance Programme" or similar, which is generally confidential and may lead to private counselling being offered.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
She's got one of those as well:tongue:

(Well, to be fair, not a degree, she was a nurse back when they valued things other than academic qualifications. She did make it as far as Staff Nurse / temporary Sister though, so I guess that counts for something?)

As I say, I'm not able to contribute to the debate about which organisation is better, but to be so dismissive of the BACP seems unfair, based on my, admittedly limited, experience.
What a strange insulting and offensive and unnecessary comment.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I am sure this helping Speccy..

Given your position I would search NHS counsellors and see if they practice privately. Just my opinion based on nothing really other than I wouldn't want to wait and I would want some security that if they were employed in the NHS they must be ok.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Really? I'll accept flippant and unnecessary, but surely not insulting and offensive? Perhaps I could have worded it better.

It was intended as an observation that academic qualifications alone do not necessarily make someone a good nurse.
It inferred that highly qualified nurses that deliver evidence based biopsychosocial person centred care aren't as empathetic, caring or compassionate as traditional nurses from 'back in the day'.

Top Bottom