Countersteering again + video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Years ago I read about this technique with regards to cycling (not motorbikes) and it seemed to be describing more of a "speedway" technique, albeit not as exaggerated, that the cyclist should be almost extending the inner arm on a curve, the book suggested that the further the bike leans, the more the effect?

Totally uncertain whether I do this or not!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Speedway is not countersteering, its a controlled slide. :tongue:

OP
OP
alp1950

alp1950

porkypete said:
And sorry Alp1950 - but you do NOT need to unweight your skis to turn them. I know many ski schools teach that (or used to) - I was taught that way too, many years ago. But it's just plain wrong. Read any of the books by Ali Ross. The apparent "up / down " motion should be sympton of the turn rather than the cause.

Off to try to some countersteering now !

No you don't need to, but you can. I think there are several ways to turn your skis...just as there are to turn your bike:smile:.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
alp1950 said:
No you don't need to, but you can. I think there are several ways to turn your skis...just as there are to turn your bike:biggrin:.

Err, havn't we just established that there is really only 1 way to steer a bike?

LLB

Smokin Joe said:
Because the back wheel is trying to overtake it.

It should still go in the same direction as the front wheel if the front has grip (which they do)

Anyway, here is a better demonstration of countersteering :biggrin:

vdhlc.jpg

redjedi

Über Member
LLB said:
It should still go in the same direction as the front wheel if the front has grip (which they do)

Anyway, here is a better demonstration of countersteering :biggrin:

vdhlc.jpg

He'll be fine when he actually gets out on the road with all that practise.

As long as he only ever turns left :blush:

LLB

redjedi said:
He'll be fine when he actually gets out on the road with all that practise.

As long as he only ever turns left :rolleyes:

He'd have a job turning right with the wall there :biggrin:

irrespective of how the laws of physics work regarding counter steering on a cycle or motorcycle, it does work well in practice.

I was teaching it today (as well as some other techniques to someone I work with) and it does have its place. Anything which gives more confidence to someone who is looking to improve their skills cannot be a bad thing ;)

Top Bottom