What is this noise? (With video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wheel buckled, tyre rubbing on something, probably the mudguard.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It could be a few things but I would check the pannier bolts and I would take the wheel out and put it back in. I think this is brake related. The disc could be bent or is not placed correctly in the pads.

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
That's a pretty obvious sound. I'm gobsmacked the cause can't be seen with the naked eye when the bike is in a workstand. If it's the mudguard surely it can be seen where the tyre is catching it?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Too much effort taking videos and not sufficient diligence finding the point of contact, imho.
My best guess if the tyre walls are sound is the screw attaching the mudguard to the chainstay bridge, especially with 35-622 Marathon Plus which is higher than it is wide. This may be more apparent when riding as opposed to in the stand as with load on the wheel the tyre gets a mm closer. Look at the screw head and see if it's dirty or 'polished'.

Last edited:

Mazz

I reckon it might be catching here (see pic).
Try rotating the wheel slowly by hand and listen carefully to determine where the noise is coming from.
Screenshot_20230925_000812.jpg

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Took it to the bike shop in the end.

A spoke was broken and catching. Didn't even notice:blush:

Anyway,he cut the spoke off. Need the bike for the rest of the week and beyond until half term so will take it back in then to replace spoke and a few other non urgent issues. (hopefully no more spokes break in the meantime).

Top Bottom