Couple of idiots puts me off commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozcs

Guru
Two issues with drivers this week, some drivers honestly don't realise they are giving close passes and I can normally rise above their ignorance but these upset me as they both felt like they knew what they were doing and didn't GAF about my safety.

Tuesday, close pass - had problems at this pinch point in the past so have taken a stronger primary position, obviously not strong enough - leave any sort of gap and some drivers will try and squeeze thorough - I'd looked over shoulder and made eye contact with this driver just before the pinch point. VA04XYG

Then on Thursday a punishment pass from BT61SKF

I'll be OK next week...

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
[QUOTE 2638694, member: 45"]Bromsgrove! That road is nasty to cycle on. Especially given the state of some of the drain covers.[/quote]

The recent surface dressing really didn't help...

tongskie01

driving a car is very stressful and full of frustrations. drivers usually vent this to vulnerable road users and other motorists. when you hear them coming closer to overtake and youre in primary, move over to the left and let them pass. at least you still leave a gap. no way you can stop this selfish people.....

dondare

Über Member
"Give vulnerable users as least as much space as you would car."
I guess that some drivers don't give cars much space.

dondare

Über Member
The HC does not say how much room cyclists should be given or refer to specific laws. So it's just a suggestion that drivers can interpret any way they like or simply ignore.

ShipHill

I've done that stretch through Wychbold a few times and thankfully never had any issues at those pinch points although I'm always wary at them. A few of the gang at work go through them every day. I'll ask and see if they get bother there.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The HC does not say how much room cyclists should be given or refer to specific laws. So it's just a suggestion that drivers can interpret any way they like or simply ignore.
Does the UK HC specify that motorists must completely change lanes to overtake? This would normally (but not always) take care of the space issue.

Steve Saunders

One of my mates got a close pass from another mate one day, and that started a bit of a slightly heated discussion in the pub. From the answers it would seem that most of mates have interpreted the highway code as follows: because they give a car a couple of feet when overtaking that that is all they need to give a cyclist, as that's what it says in the highway code "give as much room as you would a car". It's open to interpretation, and I think that's part of the problem. Dealing with vulnerable road users, including horses and cyclists should definitely be part of the driving test - it's the only way we're ever likely to see an improvement in driver attitude.

And while we're on it, any driver that is reported for anti-social driving towards a cyclist (with sufficient evidence, e.g. camera footage) should have to attend a driver awareness course - part of which is them being forced to sit on a stationary bike while they are given a close pass so that they can experience just how scary it really is.

Kies

My son is due to take his test this month and he gives cyclist a lot of room. Not sure this is something he has been taught or does because his dad cycles and he has occasionally done some road cycling

Frood42

I know where my towel is
When I learnt to drive there were no cyclists around, as most of the roads were quite big and fast, and as I lived out in the countryside most people travelled by car due to the distances to get anywhere.

Really there should have been something that dealt with vunerable road users, but there was not.

1st pass I have seen happen time and again, and I have had it happen to me, and so I have had to take a more assertive position, or even stay in primary between traffic islands to stop it happening. As I move out I give a sort of "hold back" signal as I am looking back to make sure my manouvere is clear to them, I also look back at them again to make sure, it seems to have helped me, as I have had cars slow right down and let me go through these pinch points, where as before they may have just rushed through.

2nd pass seems to be one of those where cars play follow the leader and rush through somewhere after a delay they imagine was longer than it actually was, I think the follow the leader behaviour was caused by the VW holding back for as long as he did (although the VW driver was not in the wrong at all to do so, you just get some impatient muppets).

nickr

Über Member
Stop being an over sensitive, self righteous child and take the camera off . Blasting down between lines off cars is not going to make you friends. Those cars have cued up at the lights, show some courtesy and cue up behind them. Then they may treat you and other cyclists better.

Top Bottom