Courier kills cyclist then continues with delivery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The judge's hands would have been tied by the Sentencing Guidelines.

Rightly or wrongly, if you are found guilty of an offence classed as "Careless or inconsiderate driving arising from momentary inattention with no aggravating factors", you are very unlikely to go to prison.
Agree - this is a matter of Public Policy and evidential gathering. The Judge is at the end of the chain, as it were, yet this one and others are often the focus of anger.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
The judge's hands would have been tied by the Sentencing Guidelines.

Rightly or wrongly, if you are found guilty of an offence classed as "Careless or inconsiderate driving arising from momentary inattention with no aggravating factors", you are very unlikely to go to prison.

Yes I know they are and it's often a balancing act they have to play as do the CPS who have weigh up the risk of no conviction on a higher charge or conviction on a lesser charge with a more clear cut "behold all reasonable doubt".

However it don't mean it's right and a review of the law and guidelines in cases like this is well over due.

Recent OU/BBC co-production series "The Prosecutors" Follows the CPS and the process they use to work out what charges to bring. Worth a watch as it's not as clear cut as it maybe seen to be.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, I fell into a vehicle-centric view of the world and should have been clearer. Criminal liability would still be unaffected as far as I am aware even if presumed liability was extended to vehicular accidents with cyclists or pedestrians.

The posts I made were a bit negative, there was a reason for that ... unfortunately a local one. I was aware of reports of another of these cases quite close to where I live earlier in the day which I didn't want to comment on, which last night and this morning has been verified by multiple sources (cyclist still alive apparently).

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
The one that's being reported as "happen when cyclist was cycling in the road" ? Inferring bike's don't belong on the road.

Top Bottom