Cousins - a query...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
No, I'm not after marrying one...

My cousin has just had a baby (well, his wife has). I know that the baby is a "second cousin" and a "cousin once removed" - one to me and one to my nephew, but can't remember which way round it is... Anyone?

bonj2

'Cousin' is if you share the same grandparent, 'second cousin' is if you only share the same great-grandparent.
~ cousin once removed is your ~ cousin's child, ~ cousin twice removed is your ~ cousin's grand child, etc.
so it sounds like the baby is your first cousin once removed, assuming you share grandparents with the baby's parents (oh and it doesn't matter which of the couple actually had the baby, it's still classed as 'their' offspring)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I find the easy way to remember it is that 'Removed' is a generation thing, while 'first, second' etc are same generation (usually).

ie: my cousin's child is a 'removed' (first cousin once removed) to me but 'second' cousin to my children

Clear as mud ? :biggrin: ??

bonj2

Cousin_tree.png

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers all, I think that's cleared it up.

Next question:

Where the f*** did they conjure the name 'Colton' up from for the baby? No one in either family has ever heard of it...

gavintc

Guru
It is the name of a town in Staffordshire. Perhaps, it is where they 'think' they conceived the baby.

I asked my brother's wife whether they called their first child 'Ross' after a good holiday in the town, but she was quite miffed at the suggestion so I did not pursue the line of enquiry.

Top Bottom