1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cousins - a query...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 25 Sep 2007.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

No, I'm not after marrying one...

My cousin has just had a baby (well, his wife has). I know that the baby is a "second cousin" and a "cousin once removed" - one to me and one to my nephew, but can't remember which way round it is... Anyone?

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

'Cousin' is if you share the same grandparent, 'second cousin' is if you only share the same great-grandparent.
    ~ cousin once removed is your ~ cousin's child, ~ cousin twice removed is your ~ cousin's grand child, etc.
    so it sounds like the baby is your first cousin once removed, assuming you share grandparents with the baby's parents (oh and it doesn't matter which of the couple actually had the baby, it's still classed as 'their' offspring)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin

3. Scoosh

Scoosh Velocouchiste Staff Member

I find the easy way to remember it is that 'Removed' is a generation thing, while 'first, second' etc are same generation (usually).

ie: my cousin's child is a 'removed' (first cousin once removed) to me but 'second' cousin to my children

Clear as mud ? :biggrin: ??

4. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

The big question for Arch is, can she rely on bonj's answer?

5. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

My cousin was "once removed" from the streets of Ireland and sent to prison! :biggrin:

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

:sad: :eek: :smile: :smile: :smile:

7. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Cheers all, I think that's cleared it up.

Next question:

Where the f*** did they conjure the name 'Colton' up from for the baby? No one in either family has ever heard of it...

10. gavintc

gavintc Guru

It is the name of a town in Staffordshire. Perhaps, it is where they 'think' they conceived the baby.

I asked my brother's wife whether they called their first child 'Ross' after a good holiday in the town, but she was quite miffed at the suggestion so I did not pursue the line of enquiry.

11. Gromit

Gromit Über Member

Same place my sister got Chase from, watching to many American films xx(

12. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

According to that, Arch is your great uncle. xx(