Coventry Eagle Triple Ace Convertable Tandem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This tandem was posted in the Ebay and auction watch section by Biggsy. I had spotted it but hadn't paid much attention to it until a few days had passed.
I already own a tandem minus wheels and a few other components and when I noticed that it was still for sale I thought that it might make a good donor for parts. I mentioned it to my wife and she thought that it might be better for her as it had a ladies rear frame.
We contacted the seller and arranged for me to go and have a look at it on Saturday. A nice trip up the M4 on a dingy grey day and I finally arrived at my destination.
I was greeted by a nice couple who showed me the tandem. They had bought it some time ago from the previous owner and had intended to do it up but were now sadly having to let it go. It was in original condition with plenty of rust on the chrome work and faded paintwork and in need of a good clean. The wheels and hub brakes were in very good condition, it had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed.
Looking over the frame I could make out the faded transfers Coventry Eagle on the down tube. On the seat post there were some letters missing but I could make out Triple Ace with some fancy decorations in the form of 3 pointed prongs. The sections of the frame were held together by a mortice and tenon type of joint secured with large nut and bolt. I asked the seller if it came apart for transporting it and he said that it should break down into 3 sections. I paid for the tandem and went to my car to collect my tools.
A lot of joking and laughing followed as we loosened the frame bolts and tried to figure out how things were held together. Once the rear brake rod was finally disconnected we could split the frame into it's 3 main sections, which easily fitted into the back of my car.The front and rear sections could be fitted together to make a normal cycle if required.
When I got home I unloaded my car and set to work treating the rust with some rust removing gel. The handlebars are badly corroded but are cleaning up slowly. The chainrings are also badly rusted but are slowly revealing the eagle motif that has been stamped into them.
The head badge is in the form of an art deco eagle which looks like it wouldn't look out of place adorning a skyscraper.
After a good clean this morning I found a date stamp on the rear hub 51 5 this could tally with the number 1950 stamped into sections of the frame. I also discovered a transfer on the seat tube " Fretton Cycles Coventry" which I assume is where it was originally purchased.
PICT0396.JPG
PICT0398.JPG
PICT0401.JPG
PICT0408.JPG
PICT0411.JPG
PICT0410.JPG
PICT0399.JPG

This is an on going project.

Drago

Legendary Member
What a wonderful device.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
When I saw the first picture, my very first thought was Laurel & Hardy, could just imagine them doing something & the bike coming apart like that ^_^
Hopefully you can make a nice restoration job of it, probably too nice a bit of lit to use as a donor bike :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Illaveago i am glad it has found a kind home , if it had been nearer i think i could have been interested my self
Those joint's must make it fairly unique for sure and also be easy to transport around
I will have a chat with mum & dad as they were still cycling in that era and lived in Coventry
Did it ride ok all things considered ?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
When I saw the first picture, my very first thought was Laurel & Hardy, could just imagine them doing something & the bike coming apart like that ^_^
Hopefully you can make a nice restoration job of it, probably too nice a bit of lit to use as a donor bike :okay:
I should imagine that it was a smart looking bike when it was new. When we took it apart we were joking about using it as a unicycle.
My wife is really pleased with it and is quite taken by the eagle motifs we keep finding.
I keep wondering what it would be like as a normal cycle.

tom73

Guru
What a great find it’s going to be a looker when you get it fixed up. I’d love a tandem they look great fun Mrs 73 won’t have any of it :sad:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I remember those; never ridden one. I seem to recall someone saying they were a little flexible. Quite rare.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Mrs D loves riding, but won't ride alone due to her eyesight. A tandem would be a superb way around this problem.
I bought a tandem a couple of years ago, but I have to be pilot & stoker from the front :laugh: My wife doesnt like not being able to see where she is going, but doesn't want to be in charge of brakes & gears either :blush: We've done a few rides, max of about 10 miles but reckon it will be up for sale next year, takes up too much space in the garage for so little use. Probably a good time of the year to pick one up cheap if you are on the lookout :okay:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
@Illaveago i am glad it has found a kind home , if it had been nearer i think i could have been interested my self
Those joint's must make it fairly unique for sure and also be easy to transport around
I will have a chat with mum & dad as they were still cycling in that era and lived in Coventry
Did it ride ok all things considered ?
Thanks, I tried googling the shop name but couldn't find anything.
I didn't try it out. The tyres were flat and the head bearings feel very stiff.
Yes I was surprised how it fitted into the back of my car without folding down the rear seats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom