Coventry Eagle Triple Ace Convertable Tandem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here are some pictures of what you have been waiting for.
I have been doing some more de rusting the chrome parts. Some parts are cleaning up well whilst others are starting to peel or have gone right through to the steel.
I had difficulty trying to line up the frame on my own and so it isn't fully engaged into it's sockets, it needs to go in an inch further. Some of the misalignment could be due to the tandem having a bit of an accident in the past. The top tube and down tube have been bent, it probably crashed into the back of something many years ago. The down tube has a kink underneath near the head tube lug. I have also discovered that someone had fitted a side stand in the past and partially crushed the chain stays. These have been added to my things to do list.
I also removed the chain which was stiff in places and placed them both in some old
PICT0418.JPG
PICT0417.JPG
engine oil to soak.

tom73

Guru
Just get's better :okay:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have discovered a few things whilst I was cleaning the tandem today. The crank arms have "utility " stamped into them. I was wondering if this had anything to do with rationing which didn't end until 1954. The tandem appears to be made in 1950/51. I also found a number of frame numbers stamped into different parts, left hand rear dropout, tenons for joining the frames also have the same number.
I found a reference to a similar model made in 1936 at the Coventry Museum of Transport which stated that only 6 convertables were ever made.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have discovered a few things whilst I was cleaning the tandem today. The crank arms have "utility " stamped into them. I was wondering if this had anything to do with rationing which didn't end until 1954. The tandem appears to be made in 1950/51. I also found a number of frame numbers stamped into different parts, left hand rear dropout, tenons for joining the frames also have the same number.
I found a reference to a similar model made in 1936 at the Coventry Museum of Transport which stated that only 6 convertables were ever made.

This get's better and better and it sound's like you ought to be getting in touch with the Transport Museum

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I have spotted a Triple Ace Convertable just like mine but in a better condition for sale on the bay at the moment. It too has a kink in the down tube just like mine. I have also found that a Coventry Eagle catalogue from 1955 was for sale a few years ago. Among the cycles listed was the Triple Ace Convertable which would indicate that they must have made a few more, otherwise I would have thought they would have ceased production.
It doesn't alter the fact that we like the tandem.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have spotted a Triple Ace Convertable just like mine but in a better condition for sale on the bay at the moment. It too has a kink in the down tube just like mine. I have also found that a Coventry Eagle catalogue from 1955 was for sale a few years ago. Among the cycles listed was the Triple Ace Convertable which would indicate that they must have made a few more, otherwise I would have thought they would have ceased production.
It doesn't alter the fact that we like the tandem.

So when did they stop production ?

classic33

Leg End Member
I haven't a clue . I'm finding little bits as I do my research. So far I have the earliest date of 1936 and the latest of 1955 so far. I would imagine production would have stopped during the war period.
None produced for civillian use, from September 1939 until early 1946. Production turned over to military needs/requirements during this period.

The return to cycle production was slower than to military production from cycle production.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
So when did they stop production ?
I discovered that their factories were bombed in November 1940. Motorcycle production did not start up again after the war.
The company moved production to a new site in 1947 and then moved to Birmingham in 1957. Coventry Eagle ceased production in 1959.
What I have found out is that the company favoured and concentrated more on the new sports Falcon Cycles over Coventry Eagle. All of this seemed to be going on during a period when cycle manufacturing was undergoing a stressful period.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I discovered a bit more today. When Coventry Eagle moved to Birmingham they soon discovered that the factory wasn't large enough and took over Roberts Cycle Industries which made Falcon cycles. Ernie Clements was at that time Works Manager at R.C. I.
Coventry Eagle moved to Barton on Humber taking over premises of Elswick- Hopper in 1968 when major redevelopment was planned for their existing site. Ernie Clements became a director of Coventry Eagle.

I have been doing a bit of stripping down of some of the front section today so that some of the parts can be cleaned. Handlebars, brake levers, front wheel, and forks. The head bearing were in good condition as were the cups but were caked in dried grease.

Top Bottom