Coventry Eagle Triple Ace Convertable Tandem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have I got this right? Can you join the front and rear to make a normal bike, then add the middle if you want it to be a tandem?

What a great idea

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks, I tried googling the shop name but couldn't find anything.
I didn't try it out. The tyres were flat and the head bearings feel very stiff.
Yes I was surprised how it fitted into the back of my car without folding down the rear seats.

I remember Frettons in the 1970's as a motorcycle shop in Bishop St. Whether they started with cycles I don't know, possibly the same people, I have an idea that they ended up moving to Leamington Spa.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember Frettons in the 1970's as a motorcycle shop in Bishop St. Whether they started with cycles I don't know, possibly the same people, I have an idea that they ended up moving to Leamington Spa.

A search for Frettons just brings up the Leamington Spa shop, I think they may have had a shop in Coventry and one in Leamington and they closed the Coventry shop.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks, I tried googling the shop name but couldn't find anything.
I didn't try it out. The tyres were flat and the head bearings feel very stiff.
Yes I was surprised how it fitted into the back of my car without folding down the rear seats.

FRETTON CYCLE CO centre Corporatlor Street). Cycles and Accessories. (Late Manager Midland Cycle Co.) HERCULES Cycles stock Gent’s 11s. 2d Ladies, £7 (including tax). Hirepurchase arranged. Recent Cycle Depot 37, Queen’s Road Coventry...

Halfway down the first page
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive...ntrycounts=false&county=warwickshire, england

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Shop floor plan
content.png

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ISDAM#v=onepage&q=Frettons Cycle shop&f=false

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
FRETTON CYCLE CO centre Corporatlor Street). Cycles and Accessories. (Late Manager Midland Cycle Co.) HERCULES Cycles stock Gent’s 11s. 2d Ladies, £7 (including tax). Hirepurchase arranged. Recent Cycle Depot 37, Queen’s Road Coventry...

Halfway down the first page
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1941-01-01/1941-12-31?basicsearch=cycling&somesearch=cycling&retrievecountrycounts=false&county=warwickshire, england
Phew! That street name is a mouthful. :wacko:
Thanks for that research.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
@Illaveago i am glad it has found a kind home , if it had been nearer i think i could have been interested my self
Those joint's must make it fairly unique for sure and also be easy to transport around
I will have a chat with mum & dad as they were still cycling in that era and lived in Coventry
Did it ride ok all things considered ?

Early this morning whilst waiting for the alarm to go off ,my mind started mulling things through and the type of bolted joints popped up! The joints reminded me of my brother's 1959 AJS and then it occurred to me that Coventry Eagle also made motorcycles and I suppose they could have used that experience in developing those joints.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I remember those; never ridden one. I seem to recall someone saying they were a little flexible. Quite rare.
I haven't ridden it yet so I will look forward to that day. As far as being flexible I suppose loose bolts or wear in the joints could present some strange sensations.
I will compare the frame with my BSA Double Diamond to see how they stack up.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I bought a tandem a couple of years ago, but I have to be pilot & stoker from the front :laugh: My wife doesnt like not being able to see where she is going, but doesn't want to be in charge of brakes & gears either :blush: We've done a few rides, max of about 10 miles but reckon it will be up for sale next year, takes up too much space in the garage for so little use. Probably a good time of the year to pick one up cheap if you are on the lookout :okay:

You need one of these
I bought a tandem a couple of years ago, but I have to be pilot & stoker from the front :laugh: My wife doesnt like not being able to see where she is going, but doesn't want to be in charge of brakes & gears either :blush: We've done a few rides, max of about 10 miles but reckon it will be up for sale next year, takes up too much space in the garage for so little use. Probably a good time of the year to pick one up cheap if you are on the lookout :okay:

You need one of these :okay:

pino_allround_a.jpg

Top Bottom