Cover letter and CV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

willhub said:
I'm not applying from seeing them advertising the need for staff, I am just asking if they have any job vacancies and handing in my CV/Cover letter.

Oh. I think that'll make it a bit trickier

I think I preferred your first letter actually

The second one mentions teamwork twice and goes into too much detail about stuff that's in your CV

If they're not advertising for anything specific, your letter needs to be a generic, I'll do anything, I'm an honest bloke type letter that can be sent to any company.

If Aldi aren't advertising you can send the letter to all the big retailers in the area (unless you're particularly drawn to Aldi)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Applying for jobs will keep you busy, and I wish you success in your applications. Have you thought about doing any voluntary work until then?

No, not serving tea to old ladies - what about this one, just as an example?

http://do-it.org/oppdetails.do?id=1256631

Does your skills extend to designing/updating a website for a Young People's boxing club?

I took the liberty of doing an advanced search - Information Technology opportunities within 25 km of Selby. There were lots of others.

I'm not experienced in web building tbh, I'll have a look on that site though, but I was paid work tbh as I need money.

So should I include my first cover letter for Aldi? I thought it was crap but if you people who know better think it's ok then I will include it.

I'm just not to confident about putting things like polite and I'd be great at this blah blah cause it takes me time to adapt really, I find it easy to adapt just it's not instant.

For example I can be quite shy at first not quite knowing what to say and all that and I get worried I might do something wrong, I keep saying what to people too, if I cant understand what they said, sometimes it takes me about 3 times, I must just have bad hearing with that one though.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Even I :tongue: made a mistake there, it says "refreshing and updating" not designing.

It was just a suggestion for something you might like to think about doing while you look for a paid job. There are all sorts of opportunites on there, depending on your skills and interests. I hope you do get a job soon, in the mean time you could increase your skills and experience, if you felt like it. (I will not be in the least upset, if you reject my idea.):biggrin:

I might consider it if I find something that I would like to do on it. Thanks

Any ideas on the cover letters? Should I just use the first one and put that one on? Also should I use Dear Hiring Manager instead of Sir/Madam?

I just don't want to send something that makes them think I'm silly or something and end up getting my CV binned, I need a job, it'll lower my stress levels so much.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am sorry Willhub, if I confused you by deleting my last post.

I was trying to help, but not sure if I was giving the right advice.

In your second letter, it should be "the" user room, not "there".
I think it would be the Personnel Department or Manager, rather than the Hiring Manager.

If I was you, and I am not you, I am thirty years older than you and female. :biggrin: I would give it some more thought tomorrow. Take into account what people on this thread have said to you, but in the end it is your decision.

I want to hand in the form tomorrow, but I want to make sure it's good enough so it wont get chucked in the bin.

Think I'll hand this in, obv check for grammar and punctuation mistakes first.

Capture12.jpg

mangaman

willhub said:
So should I include my first cover letter for Aldi? I thought it was crap but if you people who know better think it's ok then I will include it.

I'm just not to confident about putting things like polite and I'd be great at this blah blah cause it takes me time to adapt really, I find it easy to adapt just it's not instant.

For example I can be quite shy at first not quite knowing what to say and all that and I get worried I might do something wrong, I keep saying what to people too, if I cant understand what they said, sometimes it takes me about 3 times, I must just have bad hearing with that one though.

Will - as an employer if you're quiet and unassuming / have to check things a few times before you're confident to do them, then great

As i said - no-one wants

1) people who are unreliable / take time off etc
2) people who are cocky and think they know it all after one 5 minute briefing
3) people who are brash and get on permanent staffs' nerves

Doesn't sound as if you are any of those

Going for a job for the 1st time is always daunting and I admire you for going for it and not just trying to sponge some money.

Go for it - no doubt. Send the letter

No responses - nothing lost
Get a chance - at the least your 1st job interview

Interviewers are smart. Don't watch the Apprentice (despite me putting up a pic of Sir Allen earlier) and think that's the real world - ie everyone supercompetitive and "high-flying". I interview all the time and I'm naturally shy and unassuming. You quickly see through bullshit if you interview enough people.

Your fellow applicants will be just as nervous and judging by your interests and dedication to cycling, you must be a hard worker.

If Aldi want to employ someone they'll probably employ you.

If they don't need anyone they won't - so send your letter around.

mangaman

PS

Let us know if you get a job

I'm more nervous than you are now!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you Mangaman. You have managed to say almost exactly what I would have liked to say, and I agree with your post entirely.

I have had to supervise people in the past, and I would much rather they asked questions, than blindly assume they know what to do.

Good luck Willhub.

mangaman

Will - this is my final post. Believe in yourself

I like your letter (post 37)

tbh the situation is going to come to whether they need to employ anyone at this moment or not. If not, try someone else.

I think your CV and letter are good enough now.

Send them out, go for a long bike ride and the rest will come.

(I wouldn't overplay the cycling unless you get an interview - a lot of idiots don't like cyclists)

As you say - any question like - "how can you demonstrate you're hard working" and you calmly say "I train and ride for 180 mile bike rides"
Watch their lower jaws hit the floor.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Applying for jobs is never easy. Like a lot of things it gets easier with practice, as Mangaman says "believe in yourself". If you do not hear from them, it is probably because they are not recruiting at this time.

If you respond to a Job Advert and get no response, most good employers will give you feedback on your application.

Well I never heard back from any of them, I started looking at voluntery positions, so I applied at the Yorkshire Wildlife Reserve for a voluntery position with £40 expenses a week, I've got the interview tomorrow at 10:20am

I'm pretty nervous and I hope I get it. I've never really done anything to do with wildlife before but when I seen a voluntery position I thought I would like to give that a go and learn more about wildlife and maybe it might change my mind of what direction I want to go after my college has finished.

I'm sure even if I do a foundation degree in Computer Systems Support that foundation degree could get me into other lines of work, I know the wildlife trust needs computer techys but maybe I'd want to go into wildlife, I can see it as a possibility as since I started cycling I've started to aprechiate the outdoors much more and wanted to be outdoors more.

Would be good if I worked hard enough they'd possibly be happy to give me a job after college, but I know places dont work like that.

Anyway just thought I'd say at least I've got an interview somewhere! They said it's informal but I'll be neat and tidy.

Top Bottom