Cover letter and CV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm unsure what to put, basically, I'm looking for a job in the summer holidays, and I want to try Aldi, but they require a cover letter, I have never done a cover letter, what should I put on it.

And here is my CV.

Capture6.jpg

Any help with the cover letter and/or CV appreciated.

Thanks
Will

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hi

Your CV is good: clear, concise and to the point. I'd keep it up for your covering letter. Something like

Dear so & so (make sure you get the name right and spell it right)

I would like to apply for the position of (whatever it is).

I enclose my CV and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

...that's it really. They have a lot to get through. Lighten their load and they'll feel more positive about you.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Work experience and those skills should be at the front, not the back. I doubt Aldi will give a monkeys about any of that CS stuff, you could probably take the majority of it out. You need to put in more skills/examples of what fits on in aldi.

bikepete

Guru
Typo spotting on the CV:

1st para - delete extra space before 'Computer Systems Support'.
Education - delete extra bullet point after Manchester foundation degree
Skills - 'interest with computers' should be 'interest in computers' methinks. Also "Eager to learn gain experience" probably needs an 'I am' in front and delete learn
References - inconsistent fonts/weights...
Work Exp
- Cleaner: delete extra space before first para. Also 'our' is undefined, maybe replace with 'my'.
- It helpdesk: suggest delete first five words and replace with 'My'. And delete 'may have', and insert 'for' before 'students'.
- Smith motors - delete spare line after title. Final sentence needs a capital G on General.

I'd possibly change a few other phrases but that's down to personal style. All nitpicking really, looks pretty good overall!

Globalti

Legendary Member
An excellent CV and I doubt if many of today's illiterate managers will spot those small typos.

As above, you only need the briefest handwritten letter to introduce the CV. Set the lines out on a sheet of paper, put this under your letter paper and use them to keep it tidy. Go out and spend a few bob on some decent Conqueror paper with matching envelopes in white, not cream and sign the letter in black ink not blue.

Thanks, I've put quite abit of time into this CV despite it's shortness, I need to make it as good as possible as I've never had a proper job which puts me in a bad position for being 20!! D&R smith Motors and York College where both placements, 1 for 1 week, other 2 weeks, cleaner was just 2 days, an odd job really, got 50 quid each time though, I wanted to do more but the cleaner had someone move in with her so they took over, was a neighbor.

I guess I just sign the cover letter at the bottom?

mangaman

bikepete said:
Typo spotting on the CV:

1st para - delete extra space before 'Computer Systems Support'.
Education - delete extra bullet point after Manchester foundation degree
Skills - 'interest with computers' should be 'interest in computers' methinks. Also "Eager to learn gain experience" probably needs an 'I am' in front and delete learn
References - inconsistent fonts/weights...
Work Exp
- Cleaner: delete extra space before first para. Also 'our' is undefined, maybe replace with 'my'.
- It helpdesk: suggest delete first five words and replace with 'My'. And delete 'may have', and insert 'for' before 'students'.
- Smith motors - delete spare line after title. Final sentence needs a capital G on General.

I'd possibly change a few other phrases but that's down to personal style. All nitpicking really, looks pretty good overall!

I agree with these.

I agree pretty good CV generally, though.

I would simpilfy the cycling stuff - most people have never heard of audaxes for example.

In "skills" I would think about what Aldi are going to want (depends what job you're going for) - I'm assuming it's a shop-floor / interacting with the public type thing rather than working in their IT dept.

If the former is true, emphasise your skills in dealing with people as a computer fixer, cleaner and car mechanic.

In the letter I would just keep it simple and short.

Don't waffle or go overboard.

Emphasise you're courteous / reliable / adaptable and ready to learn

Anyone looking for a temp wants someone with those 3 skills more than anything - ie someone who'll turn up on time, do as their asked and not piss people off.

So in terms of emphasising skills I have to give examples, for example when fixing a computer what I would do etc.. or something?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You have to say how it fits in with working on the shop floor. There are lots of cliches like customer service skills, team player and crap like that. The problem is your CV might be perceived as a geek's CV and one contrary to a personable person they want on the shop floor.

If you've fixed PCs, members of the general public can get pretty hot headed and aggressive with "computer rage". That's the sort of thing you want to put down. That said people seem to pay little attention to CVs.

mangaman

willhub said:
So in terms of emphasising skills I have to give examples, for example when fixing a computer what I would do etc.. or something?

What I meant Will was trying to tailor your CV to the job

If the job involves IT then mention any relevant skills directly connected to the job

If it doesn't, use the things you've done like computer fixing and work experience to show what a nice bloke you are.

You clearly are doing favours for people fixing their computers and have worked on a helpdesk, so emphasise you have experience in solving people's IT problems, and that you enjoyed the challenge of working with them and helping them

Edit - just read marinyork's post and he's said what I was trying to say.

less specifics about the computing / more about how you enjoyed the challenge of working with the public on the call centre

I'm unsure how to give examples of it working in shops floors, don't know if this might give anyone any ideas, but when I'm discussing a PC related problem with someone, especially the woman over the road, she is like, this is the best etc.. and you just know it's not the best but I know if I said it wasn't all hell would break loose. And that it's bad to be pushy, as in saying I think you really need to get this, it's allot better I think etc...

I dont know how that could related onto a shop floor though or be interpreted on a CV.

mangaman

willhub said:
I'm unsure how to give examples of it working in shops floors, don't know if this might give anyone any ideas, but when I'm discussing a PC related problem with someone, especially the woman over the road, she is like, this is the best etc.. and you just know it's not the best but I know if I said it wasn't all hell would break loose. And that it's bad to be pushy, as in saying I think you really need to get this, it's allot better I think etc...

I dont know how that could related onto a shop floor though or be interpreted on a CV.

You'll meet plenty of people just like her on the shop floor!

It's enough to say you have experience of doing it and enjoy the challenge

eg "I have excellent IT skills which I have used to help members of the college, guests and neighbours with diverse problems, including manning a help desk at college.

Sometimes this involved complicated problems which required good communication on my part to resolve the situation"

(assuming you haven't had bucketloads of complaints!)

jack the lad

Will

It might only be a holiday job at Aldi, but you might as well practice getting it right now. When it comes to a job that matters and there are 1000 applicants only the ones with good letters get past the first sift.

The purpose of the covering letter is to relate what is on your CV to the job you are applying for. Your CV will generally remain the same whatever job it is. The letter is your sales pitch.

The process of writing the letter helps you to see whether the job is suitable for you. Its main purpose is to demonstrate to the prospective employer that you have understood what the job is about and that you have the sort of skills they are looking for. If there is a formal 'person specification' it should address every point on that PS. You use phrases like "As you will see from my CV I have had previous experience of working with customers. At the help desk at York College I often had to deal with people who were upset and angry and I found that I was very good at calming them down and helping to sort out their problems." It shows that you are thinking along the right lines - but don't make any claims you can't back up with an example or two if they want to interview you.

Take your time and make sure your punctuation, grammar and spelling are good.

Good luck

Top Bottom