Coverting Boardman with Deore x1 to wireless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
For no reason other than waiting to try wireless, can I literally just swap out my Deore shifter and derailleur for something like Sram GX Eagle AXS derailleur and shifter on my Boardman hybrid?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Provided it's the same 'speed' and the mech can cope with the cassette, yes.

As above you'll need either a 11speed or 12 speed compatible free hub/wheel plus cassette(depending on variant); if going 1x you may need a narrow-wide chainring.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Provided it's the same 'speed' and the mech can cope with the cassette, yes.

This is the kind of 'kit' I'm looking at. It says you need a full Eagle drivetrain for a swap, but am not what that means on a x1, where the only bits of the divetrain really is the derailleur and shifter??

Surely the chain ring/cranks makes no difference to shifting. Chains all seem to be much of a muchness...

https://www.freeborn.co.uk/sram-gx-...vU1SV8PKUAp1zH4Xsgul_1susFKqRCtoaAhUtEALw_wcB

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Is this on the 8.9e that I think you have? if so then you will need a new 12 speed cassette and chain and potentially a new chainring as the Deore is 10sp.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
^Just realised that, don't think the wheel hub will take a 12 speed cassette, so all in looking at £500+ to go from wired to wireless.....seems a bit over the top, but life is short....will sleep on it, and probably end buy buying a whole new back end of the bike!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dont waste your money. Use it on something useful instead and go and test ride a wireless bike at an lbs.

Wireless is the height of luxury on a bike. Its great to hear the gears whirring away at the press of a button. But its not a necessity. A well tuned set of manual gears works just as well. I would rather spend the money on a good set of wheels.

My Di2 bike is my least used bike. The novelty soon wears off.

Just my opinion.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
^Just realised that, don't think the wheel hub will take a 12 speed cassette, so all in looking at £500+ to go from wired to wireless.....seems a bit over the top, but life is short....will sleep on it, and probably end buy buying a whole new back end of the bike!

If it's an 11 speed compatible hub, it should also take a 12 speed cassette as long as you don't go for one of the ones with a 10 tooth lowest cog as they require a special hub.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Dont waste your money. Use it on something useful instead and go and test ride a wireless bike at an lbs.

Wireless is the height of luxury on a bike. Its great to hear the gears whirring away at the press of a button. But its not a necessity. A well tuned set of manual gears works just as well. I would rather spend the money on a good set of wheels.

My Di2 bike is my least used bike. The novelty soon wears off.

Just my opinion.

agree with test riding an electric set up before deciding if its something worth the cost for any benefit you would gain

Top Bottom