COVID and "Bike Privilege"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just discussing my my GF how bizarre and to a variable extent concerning the experience of going outside one's house currently is.

While I'm no huge fan of people generally and very much appreciate the practical benefits of there being fewer of them in terms of road safety etc, the urban landscape feels alien; it seeming almost oppressive to ride through areas that at every other time you've experienced them have shown far greater signs of life.

This makes me feel somehow conspicuous and self-conscious just for being out; despite my legit defence of exercise. Further to this was the suggestion that there are a lot of Police out and they're pretty aggressively questioning those on the streets. Most would argue legitimately, but I think many now have a much better idea of how it must feel to live in a Police state and the simple act of being observed, stopped and questioned for going about your business is uncomfortable in itself.

However, I find it interesting however that we as cyclists, along with dog-walkers appear to have been afforded new privilege within the social heirachy created by the "lockdown" restrictions. I think if you're out on foot or in the car you're open to getting a tug to see what you're up to, while riding or being carted along by a dog almost offers immunity to this since straight away the image you present conforms to an easily identifiable and legit reason to be out.

I feel like thanks to our current situation we've somehow transcended from our somewhat maigned social standing to a superior, privileged position. Simply from the perspective of personal freedom, we're the only ones who possess the ability to cover reasonable distances just because we feel like it (in the name of exercise); something those on foot can't claim, nor those whose every journey would be in the car and would need to be accompanied by an explanation as to why said journey is essential.

From this perspective it seems that the cyclist currently occupies a unique and privileged position of freedom, for which I'm very grateful - anyone else feel similar?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't feel this sense of privilege. I have a choice to drive or cycle the 10 miles to work and choose mostly to cycle. I do this with impunity and no feeling of guilt.
I haven't yet undertaken a ride purely for leisure or exercise for two reasons. First, I am getting my 'fix' of exercise from my commute and secondly I feel that to ride just for pleasure would, to some extent, be taking the pish given the current situation.
If my work situation changes and I find myself needing to ride for sanity and exercise (like I often do when holidaying abroad) I will ride but will not feel privileged by doing so and should be able to justify my ride as a necessity rather than just going out for a jolly!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Illness has confined me to car transport recently, but I agree with the feeling of being conspicuous.

A journey is becoming more stressful because I first have to run it through the mixture of rules, regulations, and advice to establish if I should be making it.

On my way home from one of my hospital clinic appointments earlier I had to do a mental check to reassure myself a proposed diversion to a corner shop for a pint of milk was in full compliance.

classic33

Leg End Member
Walking is still allowed, and not just dog walking.

I've done a fair amount of cycling at night in the early hours. The roads("A" roads) were as quiet at that time of day as they are during the day now. It can feel different, and you'll notice things you'll have missed when it was busier. Roads normally busy and there's only you on them.

Make the most of the quiet roads, whilst you can. They'll soon be busy again.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't feel nuffin'. I've never been one for caring what other people think, and I'm not about to start now.

I mind my own business by doing what I'm permitted to do, and nothing more - no cheeky pushing of the boundaries from me, I know exactly the spirit in which these rules were intended as well as the letter of the law, and a time of national crisis is not the time to be extracting the urine. Screw what anyone else thinks about it - life is too short to be concerned with the thoughts of others.

There's no time limit or permitted distance in our state, just the requirement to keep a physical distance between you and others, so cycling is seen as a perfectly reasonable way to get about.

How do you question people aggressively?

Is it asking direct questions such as "Where do you live" and "Where are you going"

You can ask the same questions aggressively or non-aggresively: I can't comment on the current UK police methods for obvious reasons, but I've experienced immigration officials in the UK asking questions in a friendly manner and exactly the same questions in an aggressive manner.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've been doing quite a bit of cycling by my standards, since the weather has improved. And doing some walking. Sometimes even both on the same day. That's two forms of exercise. Very naughty! No hassle from the Old Bill, either on foot or on two wheels. Most people are only out in ones and twos not large groups, although I have noticed more groups of Yoofs hanging around in side alleys and other slightly out of the way places, where they can't easily be seen and moved on by passing coppers.. They aren't doing it openly in town centres though.

Drago

Legendary Member
"I'm sorry officer, you're questioning me with a view to establishing in your mind whether or not I may be committing an offence. That being the case, I would like to exercise my rights to a solicitor under PACE Code C before allowing myself to be questioned further."

The emergency laws give officers dispersal powers, powers to issue fixed penalty notices (not fines), and even to arrest for certain infringements, but they give the officers no powers to question you and do not usurp any section of PACE.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There's no time limit or permitted distance in our state, just the requirement to keep a physical distance between you and others, so cycling is seen as a perfectly reasonable way to get about.

You can ask the same questions aggressively or non-aggresively: I can't comment on the current UK police methods for obvious reasons, but I've experienced immigration officials in the UK asking questions in a friendly manner and exactly the same questions in an aggressive manner.
Im still not getting it. You can ask a question by going round the houses or ask a direct question.

Whichever way, you dont have to answer them. Let them arrest you 😁 Enjoy a new experience. The first thing they will tell you is that you dont have to say anything. There is no offence of not answering a police officers questions 👮😁

Drago

Legendary Member
There is an offence of not giving you identity details to an officer who has reasonable grounds to require them, the proverbial name rank and number if you like - the officer decides what reasonable grounds are, not the person being questioned.

As for the rest of it in the current situation, give your name, DoB, address, and assure them that you're on your way to work/to collect essential supplies/taking your days single exercise period, and nothing more. They don't need to know where you work or where you're collecting your shopping from or what your essential supplies consist of, and they don't have the power to ask. Politely all the while, or course - no point being arrissey for the sake of it.

There is an offence of not giving you identity details to an officer who has reasonable grounds to require them, the proverbial name rank and number if you like - the officer decides what reasonable grounds are, not the person being questioned.

As for the rest of it in the current situation, give your name, DoB, address, and assure them that you're on your way to work/to collect essential supplies/taking your days single exercise period, and nothing more. They don't need to know where you work or where you're collecting your shopping from or what your essential supplies consist of, and they don't have the power to ask. Politely all the while, or course - no point being arrissey for the sake of it.

That's interesting: I've had a couple of people try and tell me that I live in a 'police state' because I have to carry my ID card, but if it is an offence in the UK not to give personal details then it isn't that much different.
As far as I know, the police here have to tell you why they are asking for your ID, and I think you can refuse although that will of course escalate the situation. Some of my clients would be stopped regularly for "ID checks", although we pointed out that if they will insist on wearing tattoos and shaving their head then it is to be expected: we know they're good lads and wouldn't hurt a fly, but the police don't.

Top Bottom