COVID and "Bike Privilege"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I move right over to the centre of the road and have found that (so far) drivers have been very accommodating of this; potentially because they have a lot more room to go around me thanks to the lack of other traffic.

Not sure about the indicating - once I've checked that there's a good distance between me and anything behind I just float over then back again; I'm already 1/3rd into the road anyway so they're going to have to cross the centreline of the road to get past me anyway. If the cars are close I tend to just hold my breath as I go past the peds..
When I say indicate I just put my hand out a little for 1s, if no traffic like you said I just float over, I have had many peds say thanks.

I have had 2 instances of drivers getting angry, the first was a boy racer who actually got out their car to have a shouting match, todays one was probably just a total ignoramus.

I haven't just darted across and messed up a cars overtake, I have a Garmin Radar so I know when a cars behind me, and I still shoulder check.

Same here, and most other cyclists I have seen do the same. Not had any grief from cars either.

Yep I moved right out to centre line

Like this

View: https://youtu.be/dcKAYWgfRbg

Thanks both as well, I will continue with what I'm doing, I think it's just a few cases of being unlucky with a few idiots.

Milzy

Guru
To be fair, your average copper in the UK is liable to be sensible and sympathetic to any situation. As with the society from which they are recruited, there will be chumps and no point winding them up if you meet one.

If I get stopped while out and about in the current emergency I'll happily tell them who I am, and the reason for my excursion under the current guidelines in the broadest of terms, but they're not entitled to more than that and I won't be giving them more than that. Most coppers will be fine with that if you're polite about it - they know they can't start questioning people when not under caution and without their free and independent legal advice, so be cool, give them what they need to know and no more, and everyone is happy. They're just doing a job under difficult circumstances with poor strategic guidance and leadership, so it's a balance between your rights and their need to do a proper job.

"I am Bernard Aloysius Farquhar, BN 06/01/1969, of 69 Cleo Lane, Poshville, and I am on a journey to collect essential supplies/going to work as I cannot reasonably work from home/taking my daily exercise in public/travelling to assist a vulnerable person/travelling to seek medical treatment" is all you need to tell them (use your own name and DoB though, not mine).

BTW, a constable in unfiorm has the power to require a driver to stop in order to check their documents, if they believe they are committing a moving traffic offence, if they believe the driver of the occupant is 'wanted' or committing an arrestable offence - there is no power to require a driver to stop to chat about coronavirus related matters, although a couple of farces are doing just that. It my be they're asking these drivers for their documents to legitimise it, and then saying "oh, and by the way, why are you....?"

PS - sorry for taking it topically of topic there.
Technically, you'd be breaking the rules, but are you seriously going to take any notice of this stuff? If you don't draw attention to yourself, no-one is going to care how many times you go out

I watched a pensioner break the law yesterday. First I spotted him riding round a park on an ancient 26" MTB. I went off to do a few miles in a loop then when I came back he was in the park doing press-ups with his bike propped up against a tree. Then, to compound the felony, he positioned himself under some wooden railings and did a set of chin-ups from a semi-horizontal position. Considering the bloke must have been pushing 70, I was well impressed. Arrest that man - for too much excercising! :laugh:
Possible ex Royal marine there.

PK99

Legendary Member
With the 2m distancing, do others move away from the curb if there are people on the pavement? I have been doing this and have gotten some serious grief from drivers for doing it, I’m talking about thin pavement with no verge.

Worst case was earlier I indicated I was moving out, the guy had a ridiculous amount of room to see what I was doing, but he had to hit the horn, shout etc then he immediately turned right making his reaction even more stupid.

Just wanted to see what others had been doing.

If you don't give me 2m on the pavement , you might find you ride in to my horizontal walking stick :laugh::whistle:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Possible ex Royal marine there.

The thought did occur to me that he might have served in one of the uniformed services or been an ex-boxer etc. He didn't move around slowly like a typical old person, if you know what I mean. Quite quick and purposeful on his feet, like someone a fair bit younger in age who is active in their day to day life.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yep I moved right out to centre line

Like this

View: https://youtu.be/dcKAYWgfRbg

Just watched that vid and it is hardly a fair representation of the situation. All well and good if you live in a quiet rural area as depicted, but try weaving about all over the road like that in an urban environ and you are likely to be needing NHS assistance quite soon!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just watched that vid and it is hardly a fair representation of the situation. All well and good if you live in a quiet rural area as depicted, but try weaving about all over the road like that in an urban environ and you are likely to be needing NHS assistance quite soon!
Weaving, hmmmmm

sheddy

Legendary Member
I’d like to be able to combine food shopping with going for a long local walk.

Ideally (to avoid meat/dairy spoiling in hot car) we would drive - park - 5 mile walk - drive - shop.

I just worry about being stopped walking back to car with no shopping in the boot.

Ashimoto

Im out every day. Im doing it as part off a weight loss programme. Ive seen loads of police and Ive yet to see one stop anybody . Ive seen loads of fellow cyclists ride past the police with no problems whatsoever. Maybe its just the police in my area but I dont feel any different when I go out now. I just get on the bike and ride.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Went out early this morning on hack Pioneer and rode about 7 miles, then did some food & beer shopping on foot, so about 2 1/2 miles walking. Rain stopped play this afternoon, but it had cleared by the evening, so out again for 8 more miles just before it got dark. Haven't seen any police at all..

Top Bottom