COVID and "Bike Privilege"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Blimey, how old was his MTB for you to be calling it ancient? I thought most of your bikes were pre 26" wheel era :laugh:

It was a lugged steel Raleigh of some sort, but the decals had pretty much disappeared, so I can't be certain exactly what. I suspect it was probably a Maverick, which could date back to the mid 1980's. Not many MTB's were built with lugged frames, unless they were made of Reynolds tubing, and there were no stickers indicating that.
Mine are no earlier than 1989, so in comparison it would be a very early example of a British MTB.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I've done a fair amount of cycling at night in the early hours…. Roads normally busy and there's only you on them.

Yep, just me and the milkman.

n4TlN1A.jpg

All is calm, all is bright

Been riding exclusively during the day for now. Seeing lots of new faces, and kids on bikes, which is normally quite rare.

Thread diversion maybe, but mostly valid points. As cyclists we, or people on cycles, do not have any elevated rights or privileges above or beyond those of the non-cycling population, whether perceived or inferred. Our journeys must be justified and necessary in just the same way as any other person who is out and about, regardless of means of transport!

Unfortunately there seems to be a significant segment of the population who see people who are different to them as "privileged" somehow, so seeing people on bikes even making essential journeys will bring out the worst in them.

Thankfully there is still no limit on time or distance outside here so far...

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Unfortunately there seems to be a significant segment of the population who see people who are different to them as "privileged" somehow, so seeing people on bikes even making essential journeys will bring out the worst in them.

Yes-and a lot of those same people have the attitude that just because they're driving a massive great German made tank that they can drive with zero consideration for the safety of others:evil:! However here in Cumbria, there are definitely fewer drivers but more cyclists around at the moment, which is great!

Ooh, that's interesting! I'm pleased for you. A quick google brought this up (so please let us know if it's wrong):

Restrictions in place until April 20

Unlike other European countries, Germany has so far stopped short of ordering its over 80 million population to remain at home — instead opting for strict social distancing measures which were issued on March 22.

Public gatherings of more than two people are banned, except for families and those who live together. Restaurants have been told to close unless they offer food delivery and pick-up. Hair salons and tattoo parlors have joined the list of non-essential shops that have been told to shut. Exercising alone outside is still allowed, albeit with at least a 1.5-meter distance between others.

The states of Bavaria and Saarland have, however, have put their residents on lockdown, telling them to stay at home. Schools across the country have been told to shut until the end of the Easter holiday, which ends between April 13 – April 24.

The head of Angela Merkel's Chancellery told a national newspaper on March 28 that the lockdown would extend until April 20 at least.

Ooh, that's interesting! I'm pleased for you. A quick google brought this up (so please let us know if it's wrong):

Unlike other European countries, Germany has so far stopped short of ordering its over 80 million population to remain at home — instead opting for strict social distancing measures which were issued on March 22.

Public gatherings of more than two people are banned, except for families and those who live together. Restaurants have been told to close unless they offer food delivery and pick-up. Hair salons and tattoo parlors have joined the list of non-essential shops that have been told to shut. Exercising alone outside is still allowed, albeit with at least a 1.5-meter distance between others.

The states of Bavaria and Saarland have, however, have put their residents on lockdown, telling them to stay at home. Schools across the country have been told to shut until the end of the Easter holiday, which ends between April 13 – April 24.

The head of Angela Merkel's Chancellery told a national newspaper on March 28 that the lockdown would extend until April 20 at least.

Roughly what we're experiencing, although it's decided at a state level, and last I heard we could meet in groups up to five. Saarland is a tiny state and is working more closely with France and Luxembourg than the other German states because it shares a border with them but is fairly remote from other German population centres, so it makes sense that they are a bit different. Bavaria always does things its own way.

People are taking this seriously for the most part: loads of people are going outside but they keep at least 2m distance.

Also we're testing anyone who as much as coughs, so we're tracking the virus carefully.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place

Tattoo parlours non-essential? Hey think of all those poor hipsters!:hugs: How will they cope? Like, OMG:laugh:,

carpenter

Über Member
Ti be fair, I think the OP was just suggesting that because you are on a bike, unless you are being an idiot and trying to get into Richmond Park, the general assumption is that you are out for exercise. Similarly if you have a dog on a lead, no one is going to challenge why you are out.

my bold:

Agree 100% - even before Covid, I have felt more comfortable/justified in being out walking my dog than I would have done without her.

Strange really, but I can walk over local fields with my dog and no one really takes that much notice - bloke on his own in the same places would possibly raise suspicions?

Johnno260

Veteran
With the 2m distancing, do others move away from the curb if there are people on the pavement? I have been doing this and have gotten some serious grief from drivers for doing it, I’m talking about thin pavement with no verge.

Worst case was earlier I indicated I was moving out, the guy had a ridiculous amount of room to see what I was doing, but he had to hit the horn, shout etc then he immediately turned right making his reaction even more stupid.

Just wanted to see what others had been doing.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
With the 2m distancing, do others move away from the curb if there are people on the pavement? I have been doing this and have gotten some serious grief from drivers for doing it, I’m talking about thin pavement with no verge.

Worst case was earlier I indicated I was moving out, the guy had a ridiculous amount of room to see what I was doing, but he had to hit the horn, shout etc then he immediately turned right making his reaction even more stupid.

Just wanted to see what others had been doing.
I move right over to the centre of the road and have found that (so far) drivers have been very accommodating of this; potentially because they have a lot more room to go around me thanks to the lack of other traffic.

Not sure about the indicating - once I've checked that there's a good distance between me and anything behind I just float over then back again; I'm already 1/3rd into the road anyway so they're going to have to cross the centreline of the road to get past me anyway. If the cars are close I tend to just hold my breath as I go past the peds..

C R

Guru
I move right over to the centre of the road and have found that (so far) drivers have been very accommodating of this; potentially because they have a lot more room to go around me thanks to the lack of other traffic.

Not sure about the indicating - once I've checked that there's a good distance between me and anything behind I just float over then back again; I'm already 1/3rd into the road anyway so they're going to have to cross the centreline of the road to get past me anyway. If the cars are close I tend to just hold my breath as I go past the peds..
Same here, and most other cyclists I have seen do the same. Not had any grief from cars either.

Milzy

Guru
Just discussing my my GF how bizarre and to a variable extent concerning the experience of going outside one's house currently is.

While I'm no huge fan of people generally and very much appreciate the practical benefits of there being fewer of them in terms of road safety etc, the urban landscape feels alien; it seeming almost oppressive to ride through areas that at every other time you've experienced them have shown far greater signs of life.

This makes me feel somehow conspicuous and self-conscious just for being out; despite my legit defence of exercise. Further to this was the suggestion that there are a lot of Police out and they're pretty aggressively questioning those on the streets. Most would argue legitimately, but I think many now have a much better idea of how it must feel to live in a Police state and the simple act of being observed, stopped and questioned for going about your business is uncomfortable in itself.

However, I find it interesting however that we as cyclists, along with dog-walkers appear to have been afforded new privilege within the social heirachy created by the "lockdown" restrictions. I think if you're out on foot or in the car you're open to getting a tug to see what you're up to, while riding or being carted along by a dog almost offers immunity to this since straight away the image you present conforms to an easily identifiable and legit reason to be out.

I feel like thanks to our current situation we've somehow transcended from our somewhat maigned social standing to a superior, privileged position. Simply from the perspective of personal freedom, we're the only ones who possess the ability to cover reasonable distances just because we feel like it (in the name of exercise); something those on foot can't claim, nor those whose every journey would be in the car and would need to be accompanied by an explanation as to why said journey is essential.

From this perspective it seems that the cyclist currently occupies a unique and privileged position of freedom, for which I'm very grateful - anyone else feel similar?
Yes agreed, I've been thinking about this for a while. Anybody with a working body could experience the same benefits. Most are just drinking and moaning though. A motorcycle friend did 10 miles on MTB and said I don't know what you lot get out of it. I suppose it's not for everyone.

Top Bottom