COVID and "Bike Privilege"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Never understood why folk act arsy with the police. I've been pulled up several times for minor issues - apologised for my mistake and was allowed to go on with a tut tut.

Being nice goes along way when dealing with people who have more power than you.
Completely agree with being polite and complicit, but my take is that in the same way that the police expect me to abide by the law, so do I expect them to. Their powers are limited, sometimes more than they believe. They can ask questions - of course - but there may be no obligation to answer. A lawful declination to answer, even politely, may sometimes be taken as insurrection.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well, I was out on a 10 mile before-work loop yesterday & suffered a close pass from a young woman in a Honda Civic. I thought about it then uploaded footage & action of some sort is being taken, in the usual way. I did explain that I was riding for exercise.

We're wondering if we get out for our normal exercise of a 6 mile fast walk or 10-20 mile bike ride, can we also then accompany our daughter out on a shorter/less strenuous excursion ?

If not, then one of us has to give up our real exercise for a more moderate/;ess physically beneficial excursion. I'm tending to think that there's nothing in the regulations to say that we can't go out more than once a day for these purposes.

It's obviously not a big issue what with all the other things people have to worry about and we are very fortunate to live in a spacious house with a garden & easy access to some quiet-ish countryside around.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, I was out on a 10 mile before-work loop yesterday & suffered a close pass from a young woman in a Honda Civic. I thought about it then uploaded footage & action of some sort is being taken, in the usual way. I did explain that I was riding for exercise.

We're wondering if we get out for our normal exercise of a 6 mile fast walk or 10-20 mile bike ride, can we also then accompany our daughter out on a shorter/less strenuous excursion ?

If not, then one of us has to give up our real exercise for a more moderate/;ess physically beneficial excursion. I'm tending to think that there's nothing in the regulations to say that we can't go out more than once a day for these purposes.

It's obviously not a big issue what with all the other things people have to worry about and we are very fortunate to live in a spacious house with a garden & easy access to some quiet-ish countryside around.
Each of you should only be going out once a day for exercise. Take it in turns with your daughter.:okay: The rules seem pretty clear to me

All of us are having to deal with disruption to daily life while this awful pandemic continues.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Each of you should only be going out once a day for exercise. Take it in turns with your daughter.:okay: The rules seem pretty clear to me
All of us are having to deal with disruption to daily life while this awful pandemic continues.
The advice is clear, however I think there is a modicum of sensible behaviour to be adhered to, I will admit to being guilty of 2 excursions outside the other day, I went for a ride for about an hour twenty, then when I came back a short time later I took my sons (lives with us) dog for a walk as he was at work. We live in a large village, but I never got close to anybody on either trips, I think I only saw 3 people & stayed well clear when I took the dog. However if I lived in densely populated area I may not have done this, I honestly think you're more likely to catch something whilst shopping.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bully for you :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Technically, you'd be breaking the rules, but are you seriously going to take any notice of this stuff? If you don't draw attention to yourself, no-one is going to care how many times you go out

I watched a pensioner break the law yesterday. First I spotted him riding round a park on an ancient 26" MTB. I went off to do a few miles in a loop then when I came back he was in the park doing press-ups with his bike propped up against a tree. Then, to compound the felony, he positioned himself under some wooden railings and did a set of chin-ups from a semi-horizontal position. Considering the bloke must have been pushing 70, I was well impressed. Arrest that man - for too much excercising! :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
"I'm sorry officer, you're questioning me with a view to establishing in your mind whether or not I may be committing an offence. That being the case, I would like to exercise my rights to a solicitor under PACE Code C before allowing myself to be questioned further."

The emergency laws give officers dispersal powers, powers to issue fixed penalty notices (not fines), and even to arrest for certain infringements, but they give the officers no powers to question you and do not usurp any section of PACE.

You encapsulate very well why mass testing, contact tracing and restriction of movement can work in tightly controlled Far Eastern societies like China, South Korea and Taiwan but are futile here.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm doing it by the book. i'm not making my own interpretation of what is right or wrong, or taking an extra ride because I think it's harmless - you or I in CC'land probably can make a safe judgement, but there are no shortage of people in the population who cannot. If we pinch a bit here and there, not only do we give the chumps of the country something to point to to justify their own idiocy, we also increase the risk of coming into contact with said chumps.

I feel like thanks to our current situation we've somehow transcended from our somewhat maigned social standing to a superior, priviledged position.
This is a really interesting observation! (especially as you're in the next town from me now)

I for one am glad to also be enjoying it.

(Just a shame that the thread has diverted to repeating all the same points made in the last 48h on the other 3 main COVID threads. But that's forums for you!)

Top Bottom