COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Lockdown 3, or the population get a grip and take responsibility?

I am afraid the people have to realise that the easing of restrictions is guidance to a new level of maximum interaction, not an instruction and minimum level of interaction.

That’s been my issue all along, you hear the term common sense to be used, well that’s great if it’s a common occurrence these days.

People will ignore guidelines, then complain when something stricter is implemented, while ignoring their actions, and blame everyone and everything else.

I have seen some friends say on Facebook please respect my choice that I’m not ready to be hugged come the 17th, and that’s perfect that’s their choice, and others need to respect that choice.

My crack pot tinfoil relatives tried to invite themselves around to see the kids, when I rebuked them I got the classic oh you’re still a sheep then, my reply was this:

Now they said I’m the tinfoil hat wearer for believing what I do as they are right and their opinion means more than any sane persons.

In short entitled numpties will no doubt ruin many people’s hard work over the last few months.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Mind was made up after the first, there'll be no second.

The only thing I'm not able to get an answer on is how not having any further involvement will affect further medical treatment.

Thanks for the reply through.

Eldest son with type 1 diabetes had second jab today. Not sure what you mean by affecting further medical treatment?

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
37 and 38 year olds are eligible from tomorrow.

36 and 35 will just be a couple of days behind this as first dose stocks are coming through in pretty strong volumes now.
The news said 38-39?
is 37 the case and is it national as a friend who’s 37 is v keen to get jabbed ASAP?

Reactions: mjr

Buck

Guru
The news said 38-39?
is 37 the case and is it national as a friend who’s 37 is v keen to get jabbed ASAP?

its moving v quickly. As soon as 1 group is announced, the next group is brought on line.
It will very much depend on whether the local area has exhausted the earlier cohorts.
We have done all 38 and 39 and now at 37. Your friends area should be only a day or so behind.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Anyone watched ‘jabbed’ on channel 4? Watching it now, very good IMO.
What struck me, and I'm willing to accept it might just have been good editing on the part of the filmmakers, was the ... the humanity of the Task Force key players. That is, in comparison with the weaseliness of their political counterparts.

Second increase in the number of cases (7 day average) for second day running, and a bigger jump today of 12%. I think the impact of the easing of restrictions is having an impact with more easing to come expect to see continued growth in cases.
Does anyone know the figures for actual tests being carried out now though, surely if there are more tests then sense would dictate more positive results?

It seems anyone can get the DIY tests twice a week now whereas not that long ago only certain priority groups could have this.

The next phase will be the big test, pubs opening inside.

C R

Guru
Does anyone know the figures for actual tests being carried out now though, surely if there are more tests then sense would dictate more positive results?

It seems anyone can get the DIY tests twice a week now whereas not that long ago only certain priority groups could have this.

The next phase will be the big test, pubs opening inside.
The LFT for home use have been in place since schools went back in March, so the uptick in the last couple of days would be unrelated to that. Hopefully it's a statistical fluke, let's see what happens in the next few days, and if the uptick translates into more hospital admissions.

vickster

Legendary Member
its moving v quickly. As soon as 1 group is announced, the next group is brought on line.
It will very much depend on whether the local area has exhausted the earlier cohorts.
We have done all 38 and 39 and now at 37. Your friends area should be only a day or so behind.
The website is only booking 38-39s and she’s heard nothing from her GP. Hopefully 37s can book via website or online in the near future.

Johnno260

Veteran
The website is only booking 38-39s and she’s heard nothing from her GP. Hopefully 37s can book via website or online in the near future.

the way I got mine fast is contacting the GP and asking if there was a list of people who they contact if they had spare jabs, they did so I asked them to add my name.

not sure if this is common practise or something others do.

vickster

Legendary Member
She’s recently moved (about 2 miles), but hasn’t yet moved to a practice closer so may not be able to go down that route.
I can suggest it but she does work so going to a centre at very short notice may be difficult (I have a friend who does lots of vacc centre volunteering and she did offer her a leftover at short notice but she couldn’t get there)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Impact of delaying second dose of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine: modelling study
Study (published 12 May): 'Is the longer gap between jabs better?' [Spoiler: Yes, within certain criteria, which the current vaccines used in UK meet] and deductions for Covid-19 vaccination world wide.

The autumn phase 3 RCT trial results suggested, beyond all reasonable expectation, that even single dose efficacy was good. The main constraint on the world (and national) vaccination programmes was and is vaccine availability. UK JCVI decided far more lives could be saved, and hospital and critical care admissions prevented, by providing one dose to as many people as possible, particularly those at highest risk of serious Covid-19 disease outcomes, before providing second doses. For UK this has proven highly effective: well done to the JCVI for having the necessary cojones (and equivalent for the female committee members). Reinforces my pride in UK.
This study demonstrates – using modelling – that the same is likely to apply, not just in-country, but globally; that delaying the second dose worldwide will most quickly control the disease as well as reducing covid-19 mortality, SARS-CoV-2 infections, and hospital admissions due to covid-19.

Concerns about the lack of evidence for effectiveness if a second dose is delayed (beyond the arbitary 3/4 week trial protocol) are misplaced. Knowledge drawn from previous vaccines suggests that a longer gap produces a better immune response, longer-lasting immunity and greater cross-protection against variant strains. The unavoidable paucity of data on Covid-19 vaccines has generated (in nearly all other nations) an uber-precautionary approach.

But one of the current main concerns about Covid-19 is that ‘vaccine escape' variants may arise. The more viral replication there is the more likely this is to happen. So it's important to control the disease as far as possible globally. If we vaccinate everybody in North America and Western Europe, but as vaccine escape variants arise in countries where vaccination levels are low, they will inevitably return to the vaccinated parts of the world, causing 'break-through' disease there. The international community has a vested interest in ensuring that the whole world is vaccinated as soon as possible (and this may be best achieved by a first jab and a second/booster later).

This study supports that view and raises questions about, for example, the proposed third dose (second booster) apparently planned for the UK in Autumn 2021. On balance it might be in the UK’s interests, as well as global interests, for those doses to be used in countries where they are needed more.

Top Bottom