COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
At some point, we have to take some risks. The risk by June should be tolerable for a young healthy person.
Great for the young healthy person, but pretty shoot for me. I'm not that young any more and I've multiple chronic illnesses, which is why I describe myself as part of the group being thrown under the bus.

There will still be the virus, it's not going to go away, but we should be in a far better position than last summer, when it didn't run riot.
Except that it was a less infectious, less deadly variant last summer and people were very cautious about restarting activities - until they weren't, and that plus schools let things really kick off again.

We have to accept the fact that there will still be infections and some deaths,
30'000 more deaths, they said yesterday.

but also that continued lockdown is not financially viable and will contribute to more death, terrible outcomes for kids and horrible mental health issues.
There is a space between "continued lockdown" and "remove all legal limits". It is false to pretend that we can only do one extreme or the other.

You know what will really be not financially viable, with terrible outcomes for kids and horrible mental health issues? A fourth wave and/or a vaccine-resistant variant arising from the unnecessarily high level of cases enabled by this plan.

Never mind suggestions that Boris is being controlled by Dom or Bill Gates's microchips: it sometimes looks like he's being controlled by some remnant of covid! Maybe it got into his brain and took over? :cursing:

In the real world though there aren't too many of those jobs.

There's plenty of people out there working, I know no-one who works from home.

Stuck at home away from society breeds fear in my opinion, if you were out mixing since this lot kicked off you may be less fearful.

Personal health condition is an important consideration obviously and I would never suggest people with any health issues not to be cautious.

vickster

Legendary Member
If the chronic health issues increase your risk, shouldn't you be discussing with Dr and getting moved into group 6 for vaccination (or even 4)? Group 6 covers a pretty wide range.

Personally I'd be more than happy for key workers to be vaccinated before me but it's not up to me :okay: (there'll be plenty aged 50+ or with health conditions who will...but they do need to actually go get it)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the chronic health issues increase your risk, shouldn't you be discussing with Dr and getting moved into group 6 for vaccination (or even 4)? Group 6 covers a pretty wide range.
I've discussed it. My understanding is that my asthma is too mild, two of my illnesses are currently thought to be irrelevant and another not a mortality-increaser — but this is an evolving topic, as you know.

Personally I'd be more than happy for key workers to be vaccinated before me but it's not up to me :okay: (there'll be plenty aged 50+ or with health conditions who will...but they do need to actually go get it)
Yes, I think that the vaccine priority group ordering broadly makes sense. It's the lifting all restrictions totally before vaccines are offered to all which seems wrong to me. It's not up to me, but I feel I must speak out against the stupidity and injustice of this plan.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
EDIT @marinyork : I think you're picking the bleakest, less likely options, and stirring them altogether. And adding in Boris not noticing, and failing to adapt plans.
That combo seems extremely unlikely to me. I'm better off worrying about my battery lights making it all the way home tonight.

Like many people and some of the scientists, once we safely (for want of a better word) get past the first bit of the summer, I'm actually pretty optimistic, if the NHS does these spectacular figures they were voicing in recent weeks of up to 7 million jabs a week. This has come up in conversation in real life where people have been er, yer wott, so you're saying that we'll likely be wearing masks and distancing in september but you don't think there'll be that many people dying and not many people in hospital? Yes. People find this crazy. For me it's getting thing as low as possible, as good as possible going into the summer.

I'm intensely relaxed about many things outdoors in small groups with basic precautions. I'm actually quite relaxed about some of the workplaces where they've made a big effort, it's just there is too much variation and the HSE haven't taken a single piece of action from thousands of inspections where people may have been naughty boys.

I think some of the bits in steps 3 and 4 are spot on and other bits are misguided and may well be delayed. I would have sent Primary schools back sooner, secondary schools a bit later and colleges after that. I think Boris will notice on some of the superlarge events and some of them will get delayed.

marinyork

I doubt those restrictions are going to be removed and suddenly everyone is forced to feel unsafe at work, people will just go off sick.

People can't change how they look at risk I know but C'mon you seem to be overreacting a bit.

Not judging you here but you don't come across as a very positive person at the best of times so I doubt you're ever going to feel completely safe.

It's perspective. Millenials tend to pick up very fast on people climbing up ladders and then pulling them up. Covid vaccines is just another in a long list of things where this has happened, so why should anyone be surprised that we wouldn't pick up on that? Remember, until not that long ago the government had no plans to vaccinate anyone who isn't a UHC under 50.

Other things that change my perceptions are I remember swine flu well and how people behaved there (similar to now but covid is much worse). I had a post-viral infection in the past in some ways very similar to long covid. I have to do a lot of caring duties for two CEVs. If I still worked in pharmacy and had been coughed on all winter as is routine, my perception of covid would be different, as I've said before. As more or less one of my ex-colleagues said to me recently. The isolation has not been there by choice for many. Similarly for those of my friends that have young children and working from home, I would probably feel differently in their circumstances.

For me, a vaccine makes many situations a tolerable risk. It makes covid-19 a 10x less hazardous disease. Still nasty, but livable with.

How I see risk will change over the summer when I get vaccinated, that's the point!

P.S. were I 18, I'd be volunteering for the challenge trials.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I heard that the side effects can be worse if have already had Covid
(From a friend of mine doing lots of volunteering at vaccine centres)

marinyork

There's plenty of people out there working, I know no-one who works from home.

Stuck at home away from society breeds fear in my opinion, if you were out mixing since this lot kicked off you may be less fearful.

I kind of answered this one.

I only know one person well who goes to work 5 days a week currently. I'm acquainted with a few others. Many I know are unemployed or WFH. My friend that goes in 5 days a week loves that and recognises he'd go mad if he didn't. In January and February it's been noticeable his mood and thoughts ebb and flow on it. He doesn't worry about the virus but as the workplace emptied frustrations crept in about uneven workloads and seemed to almost worry about the virus a bit and preoccupied with people returning.

If we'd only ever had a few weeks of "lockdown" in wave 1 and that'd been it, it would still have not been great, but a year on it's really cemented in a lot of problems for people. My work is WFH, my voluntary activities have all gone up in smoke with "lockdown 3" and friends I see little of them for various reasons - busy, depressed and hibernating, or just fallen out of contact. "Lockdown 3" has been the worst for a lot of young/single/house sharers/precarious circumstances. As I hinted at in another post, for many last summer it took many some considerable time to adjust to things - around August. This winter's been worse. People are very wary of even going for a walk in 2s for fear of the virus, or guilt, or not up to it, or too busy. It's not good, but it's society is separated from everyone else.

I've discussed it. My understanding is that my asthma is too mild, two of my illnesses are currently thought to be irrelevant and another not a mortality-increaser — but this is an evolving topic, as you know.

Yes, I think that the vaccine priority group ordering broadly makes sense. It's the lifting all restrictions totally before vaccines are offered to all which seems wrong to me. It's not up to me, but I feel I must speak out against the stupidity and injustice of this plan.
In your opinion, which is fine.

My opinion differs, I stand by my previous comments.

Keep doing what you feel necessary to stay safe by all means but just because you're frightened to death of this disease doesn't mean the decisions are wrong.

This isn't some young carefree young sprog speaking either, I'm 56 this year.

Last edited:
I kind of answered this one.

I only know one person well who goes to work 5 days a week currently. I'm acquainted with a few others. Many I know are unemployed or WFH. My friend that goes in 5 days a week loves that and recognises he'd go mad if he didn't. In January and February it's been noticeable his mood and thoughts ebb and flow on it. He doesn't worry about the virus but as the workplace emptied frustrations crept in about uneven workloads and seemed to almost worry about the virus a bit and preoccupied with people returning.

If we'd only ever had a few weeks of "lockdown" in wave 1 and that'd been it, it would still have not been great, but a year on it's really cemented in a lot of problems for people. My work is WFH, my voluntary activities have all gone up in smoke with "lockdown 3" and friends I see little of them for various reasons - busy, depressed and hibernating, or just fallen out of contact. "Lockdown 3" has been the worst for a lot of young/single/house sharers/precarious circumstances. As I hinted at in another post, for many last summer it took many some considerable time to adjust to things - around August. This winter's been worse. People are very wary of even going for a walk in 2s for fear of the virus, or guilt, or not up to it, or too busy. It's not good, but it's society is separated from everyone else.
Again, totally different to me and people I know.

For everyone with an opinion like the above one there is probably one exactly the opposite, it just appears most posters on here are similar.

No right or wrong.

classic33

Leg End Member
In your opinion, which is fine.

My opinion differs, I stand by my previous comments.

Keep doing what you feel necessary to stay safe by all means but just because you're frightened to death of this disease doesn't mean the decisions are wrong.

This isn't some young carefree young sprog speaking either, I'm 56 this.
My opinion differs from yours, with three conditions that have the ability to do more damage than this virus could muster. The last 343 days have been an inconvenience, nothing more, for me.

What I'll not do is mock the fears that someone else has about this last few months, even if I've disagreed with some of what they've said.

An unfortunate situation with regards to medications, means that I'll not be on the receiving end of a needle.

My opinion differs from yours, with three conditions that have the ability to do more damage than this virus could muster. The last 343 days have been an inconvenience, nothing more, for me.

What I'll not do is mock the fears that someone else has about this last few months, even if I've disagreed with some of what they've said.

An unfortunate situation with regards to medications, means that I'll not be on the receiving end of a needle.
Thank you for your opinion.
I don't think I'm mocking anyone by saying they're frightened of the disease though if they are and this person clearly is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom