Covid vaccine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Annoyingly, even assuming that I am in the vaccine rather than the control arm of the study, I am likely to have had the rubbishly 62% double full dose rather than the sweet, sweet 90% half-full dose. Still, no hospitalisations and no severe cases in the vaccine group which is good news in any case.

As with the others though, it's interim data. Let's get all this stuff properly finished and thoroughly reviewed before we get too giddy.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-23-oxford-university-breakthrough-global-covid-19-vaccine

That brings to mind another point. Take the vaccine and you protect yourself, obviously; but can you still be a carrier and therefore a spreader? In which case not a lot is going to happen with regards to movement restrictions for a long time yet.
No if you can't get it you can't spread it.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Nobody knows yet.

The primary endpoint for the study announced today is symptomatic COVID. They also test weekly, but haven't reported yet, so we don't know if less people tested positive on the vaccine.

And there is uncertainty on the extent to which asymptomatic cases shed virus and spread the disease

So whilst there is good reason to believe a vaccine will reduce or even stop spreading to a large extent, there is little concrete evidence to go on yet.

D

Deleted member 26715

Can't help thinking it would be better to immediately vaccinate everyone who's daily job brings them into regular contact with others first to limit the possible spread... ie hospital staff, health workers, teachers, retail, delivery people... then people at risk, then the rest of us.
I agree, at 60 i am presumably in the first(ish) catchment group, yet feel getting it will not provide me with any greater protection than the way I am living my life currently, we are being careful who we come in contact with, we only go out when necessary, if a place looks to have too many people we go elsewhere, we choose our shopping times very carefully, we wash our hands or use sanitiser after each shop visit.
Unpaid care givers need to get in a head up in the 1st stage. They have yet to be included than let's talk about who else lives up the list.
Who puts who at risk many everyday work is not simple to work out. Many are not around risk groups long enough to be of any more risk than most of us.
My sister (65) who is a type 1 diabetic, nearly blind, looks after my brother in law (85) who has severe Parkinson's and my father (96) who has vascular dementia, they all should qualify for the vaccine, but is as they are currently doing keeping themselves away from everybody not just as effective & less risk?

tom73

Guru
I agree, at 60 i am presumably in the first(ish) catchment group, yet feel getting it will not provide me with any greater protection than the way I am living my life currently, we are being careful who we come in contact with, we only go out when necessary, if a place looks to have too many people we go elsewhere, we choose our shopping times very carefully, we wash our hands or use sanitiser after each shop visit.
My sister (65) who is a type 1 diabetic, nearly blind, looks after my brother in law (85) who has severe Parkinson's and my father (96) who has vascular dementia, they all should qualify for the vaccine, but is as they are currently doing keeping themselves away from everybody not just as effective & less risk?

The same can be said for some care home residents or ones in sheltered housing not all old people have health conditions that lead to higher risk. Many unpaid cares are not in that position and are not able to shield along with who they are caring for. Or are classed as higher risk to qualify higher up the list. It's all wave and good for the one they are caring for to qualify early on. But if your sole carer get's will with this that's of little use to them. We also have the many always forgotten young carers who either won't get the vaccine or just come into the last group on the list. Many also do a lot of the caring for younger siblings in the same house hold.
again if they get get sick it's of little use. It's also unclear at what point on the list group homes come into this some young people in them are at equally high risk to each other but don't have health conditions leading to increased risk of covid.

We are at real risk of this becoming a playing to the gallery decision on who get's the vaccine 1st and not a clinically lead and ethical one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nobody knows yet.

The primary endpoint for the study announced today is symptomatic COVID. They also test weekly, but haven't reported yet, so we don't know if less people tested positive on the vaccine.

And there is uncertainty on the extent to which asymptomatic cases shed virus and spread the disease

So whilst there is good reason to believe a vaccine will reduce or even stop spreading to a large extent, there is little concrete evidence to go on yet.
We're supposed to phone the study team if we start to develop symptoms or anything. When my colleague tested positive he gave them a call but said they weren't interested as he was asymptomatic. I guess with the 62% efficacy for the dosing regime we're (probably) on and the absence of severe illness in the trial group, there is a good chance that he's had the vaccine after all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Check out "Typhoid Mary" if you really believe that.
From the press release I linked to.

Note 'could' and 'lower', not 'does' or 'zero'.

D

Deleted member 26715

In other news Easter is delayed to August next year
That's not far enough away, we were due to go to Florida, in early October, I've rebooked mid September next year, I'm not expecting to be able to go.

Top Bottom