Cows!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_2752.JPG
DSC_2753.JPG
DSC_2751.JPG

Heading down the Snowdon Ranger Path from the summit of Snowdon a few years ago, (We'd ridden up the Llanberis Path) we had to stop for a herd of cows and I was immediately rounded up as a stray, albeit with wheels, by the farmers dog :laugh:
It was perfectly friendly, but wouldn't move until the cows had cleared the bridleway!

PapaZita

Guru
I just posted on the Velo Viewer thread that on this weekend’s ride I took a bridleway that went through a field of water buffalo. I’m not really up on my buffalo identification skills, so only identified them as such when I got home. They were definitely big strange cows, and I vaguely remembered something about African buffalo being particularly dangerous and bad tempered, so was a little nervous. On the other hand, surely, if they were dangerous they wouldn’t be in a field on a public right of way, or someone would have put up a sign or something. Wouldn’t they? Fortunately they showed almost no interest in me - perhaps they’d already eaten.

A rather more alarming encounter was several years ago with a herd of young cows on a different bridleway. They were probably just curious and playful, but I didn’t know that at the time. They waited until I was far away from the gate, approached to about 20 m, watched me for a bit, then took off and did a thunderous high speed lap of the field. Upon getting back to where I was, they got a little closer, maybe 10 m. Then another lap, a little closer, etc. I made as much progress towards the exit as I could while they were running, but It was clear that they could complete their circuit in far less time than it would take me to get out. The closer they get the more they seem to surround you. Eventually they had backed me up to the hedge and were practically licking my bike, which seemed terribly insubstantial when it’s they only thing between you and them. Somehow I survived.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes but when you get sheep shoot on your wheels it fairly makes the car stink.:ohmy:
And don't forget horses. Their leavings are a problem on one of the mainland cycle paths I use. Spread from side to side so no dodging. Why don't the riders have to clear up behind or else fit nappies in public areas?:rolleyes:

I would never use the word shoot in that reference. The term I used seems to me and anybody I know to be completely innocuous and in everyday use at least in the circles I move in.

GuyBoden

Guru
Woke up in a field full of cows after a late night emergency camp after a 100+ mile exhausting mountain ride as a teenager. Not a good idea to camp in a farmer's field, lesson learned.:okay:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I don't usually have a problem with cattle, I find that talking to them seems to settle even the most frisky beast, however there was an occasion when I was in my teens that I remember well. My pal and I were riding on a footpath across a field full of bullocks when we heard the thunder of hooves behind us. The whole herd seemed intent on doing some mischief to us and it ended up as a race to the nearest boundary fence. Fortunately we won and managed to throw the bikes over and scramble over ourselves in the nick of time.

Top Bottom