CR2032 batteries. Any difference in make?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

Only asking to see if anyone has tried different makes. I've a few back up LED lights on the treadly that take a pair of these batteries. Prices vary quite a bit and Maxell Energiser, Duracell come up quite a bit on flea-bay. Probably all much of a muchness but thought it was worth asking.

Thanks ... hoping for an answer

Mozzy

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Cheapo ones from a seller in china (99p for 5, or 10, I can't remember) have always worked well for me.

Freddyflintstone

You will find its the "use by date thats important" on cheaper ones
The cheaper ones from the pound shop are good for very low loads (current draw) eg LED's
If using them for slightly higher in loads I would go for Maxwell or, even better Duracell
On my car key I always use Duracell for reliability

Freddyflintstone

These are lithium batteries.
There are various chemistries of lithium, lithium oxide being a common form
To make the chemistry vatious process's are used, some cheap some expensive
Hence why the batteries vary in price
They all give 1.5v but the cheaper chemistry don't last as long under the same load
There are medical versions (heart pacemakers) and high temperature versions
Its all about the lithium process's

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

These are lithium batteries.
There are various chemistries of lithium, lithium oxide being a common form
To make the chemistry vatious process's are used, some cheap some expensive
Hence why the batteries vary in price
They all give 1.5v but the cheaper chemistry don't last as long under the same load
There are medical versions (heart pacemakers) and high temperature versions
Its all about the lithium process's

On that basis Freddy without sounding a complete idiot … it really would seem safe to stay with main brands to get decent battery life?

Mozzy

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
On that basis Freddy without sounding a complete idiot … it really would seem safe to stay with main brands to get decent battery life?

Mozzy

Well, it depends... if you're buying a disposable item (which with CR2032s you are) then I'd feel free to buy cheap and chalk it up to experience if I got a couple of duds. In fact most of the CR2032s I've had came with the original equipment and have never needed replacing. When it comes to more expensive items like camera batteries I've found a huge difference between, say, genuine Nikon batteries and cheaper replacements. Every cheap camera battery I've ever bought has had less power than the genuine battery and every one has ultimately failed completely. So my experience is that I'm better off paying £50 for a genuine Nikon rechargeable instead of £15 for a non-original replacement. But with CR2032s I'd get them from a reasonably reputable source (probably not from a market stall but someone like Aldi or Lidl) and keep a couple of spares.

Freddyflintstone

is it
Well, it depends... if you're buying a disposable item (which with CR2032s you are) then I'd feel free to buy cheap and chalk it up to experience if I got a couple of duds.
or
But with CR2032s I'd get them from a reasonably reputable source (probably not from a market stall but someone like Aldi or Lidl) and keep a couple of spares.
don't forget to take a few spares when you go driving and instructions how to
sychronise your key

amaferanga

Veteran
I'd recommending avoiding Boots own brand batteries. I've not used the CR2032's, but tried using their SR44 for my PowerTap hub and repeatedly only got around 30-40 hours from a set of batteries instead of the 1000 hours plus I should have been getting. Switched to Energiser (which were almost as cheap anyway) and all is well with the first set after >100 hours.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
is it

Well, it depends... if you're buying a disposable item (which with CR2032s you are) then I'd feel free to buy cheap and chalk it up to experience if I got a couple of duds.

or

But with CR2032s I'd get them from a reasonably reputable source (probably not from a market stall but someone like Aldi or Lidl) and keep a couple of spares.

don't forget to take a few spares when you go driving and instructions how to
sychronise your key

Erm do you not consider Aldi cheap then? What I'm suggesting is that, in my opinion, there's not much to be gained by paying a premium price for a battery of this category. On the other hand I'm wary if the price seems too low because it may be out-of-date or counterfeit stock. And yes, I have bought stuff from Aldi which is not fit for purpose, sometimes I've returned it and asked for a refund, other times I've just thrown it in the bin. It depends on the price and on how I'm feeling.

Top Bottom