Cracked frame - what to do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
During my post ride clean I noticed my alu frame on my Giant Defy 1 has developed a crack. It hasn't been in an accident or impact so guessing the weld may have failed(?).

The bike came from Rutland about 2.5 years ago so I'm assuming they won't be interested in helping, is the best bet my LBS which is a Giant shop (even though it didn't come from them) or Giant themselves?

Would this sort of thing be repairable? Is it still safe to ride?

IMG_20171008_113055177.jpg IMG_20171008_112601885~2.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't Giant offer lifetime warranties on frames for the original owner? Contact Rutland as the retailer who sold the bike to you or get advice from your LBS. it'll be sorted by Giant directly presumably

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Are you sure it is the frame that has cracked and not just the paint? I'd have expected any crack to have followed the bottom of the sleeve where the seatpost fits, rather than taking a random path across what should be a fairly meaty section of tube.

Have you tried tapping it with something to see if it sounds different to the rest of the frame?

Tangoup51

As others have suggested, it's recommended you take it to your Local LBS for evaluation & then contact Rutland Cycles to see if Giant will offer any compensation for this. (if it turns out to be a crack)

Do not attempt to ride the bike, as any further damage could backfire on any compensation giant may offer for this issue. - Avoid tampering wtih the crack; i,e, filing the paint off it aswell. Just take it in for evaluation and get a professional opinion.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Son in laws brand new giant TCR cracked first week.
Rutland replaced the frame.

Id try Rutland as they are very good. But you are in Cornwall..
As said check with light first as paint crack is nothing to worry about

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

Quick tapping over with a fine headed screwdriver and it sounds exactly the same all over the surrounding area and on the crack - but that's the limit of my metal knowledge!

The Giant Store is in walking distance from me so will drop it there tomorrow for them to give it a going over, this will determine who / where to go next and what I need to say the prognosis is. (I imagine both Giant themselves and Rutland would ask for a professional opinion before doing anything).

Cheers for advice!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had a minor issue with a frame bought from Rutland, who were very responsive & were going to arrange collection of my frame if I couldn't sort it myself. Hope you can get it sorted !

OP
OP
helston90

helston90

It's God's* way of telling you that you need a new and better bike....

*Other deities are available.
This made me chuckle.
Sadly God (or other) needs to pull his finger out as I'm still awaiting loss of bike and personal injury compo from an accident in Feb :sad: might have to be 2 new bikes now! ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
This made me chuckle.
Sadly God (or other) needs to pull his finger out as I'm still awaiting loss of bike and personal injury compo from an accident in Feb :sad: might have to be 2 new bikes now! ;)
February 2017...I've been waiting since February 2014...
Might be worth chasing an interim payment for the bike. If injury not resolved

Top Bottom