Seat post cracking / stress marks on Giant Defy adv 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Noticed this today on my Giant round the seat post , bike was new in April , going to get it booked into Giant dealer to take a look just thought I'd ask some opinions first , anyone else seen / had this before ?

doog

bloody hell

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Lordy. How much do you weigh, and how much seat post is poking out?

15st 9lb & the seat post is as it was set at the bike fit when I first purchased it , I'm 6'5" tall , the seat post is very close or on the max setting guess that's what's caused the problem

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's on the max. Ideally a longer post should have been supplied given your height. The post won't be below the seat stays, so will add to flex. The frame shouldn't do that though.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Cool yeah , going to speak to the dealer tomorrow about it & drop it back into them next weekend to have a look & see what they say

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Bet they say its just the paint .

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Bet they say its just the paint .

Really ...? It's strange as you can't actually feel a crack or anything when running your finger nail over it so could well be but still not right surely , had good service when I first purchased the bike so hopefully that can continue now I've a problem that possibly needs sorting

S-Express

The post won't be below the seat stays, so will add to flex

Given that the stays are dropped on the Defy, this won't be relevant. Flex would not be significant in any case.

Anyway, as others have said - it's not a crack, just paint shrinkage most likely. Looks sh1t though.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
'tis fooked beyond all recognition. Give us petrol money to come and collect it and the bike and I'll dispose of it for you.......
^^He's right, but I'll undercut him. You know you want it.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Dropped my bike off on Saturday to the Giant main dealer & left it with them , they reported back on Monday after speaking to Giant & said that its most likely the paint cracking , worse case scenario its stress in the carbon , either way they're both covered by warranty & they're sending out a brand new 2017 Defy Advanced 2 Frameset for me , will be here end of October when I'll need to take it back in & all the parts from my old bike will be swapped to the new frame & I'll be re fitted as I was when I originally made the purchase April this year , great service from Giant again , I'll continue to ride the old frame & just monitor the damage around the seat post area for the time being

Top Bottom