Cracked Rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Riding in to work this morning I applied the rear brake and felt a "knocking" on the rear of the bike.

When I examined the rim, I found a 2mm crack in the side of the rim. I rode the rest of the way to work waiting for the tyre to explode, or the wheel to collapse.

I'm guessing that the rim is, to use a technical term "buggered". Looking at prices for a new rim and wheel build, it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a new wheel. (existing wheels are the ones supplied with the trek 1200 - tiagra hubs)

Question is - am i better to get a new back wheel (cheap shimano jobby from wiggle - approx £45) and try to change the casset over (i have no idea how to do this, but i'm willing to learn), or pay approx £60 for a new rim and build from the LBS.

Money is fairly tight, and I don't need anything overly fancy. Just cant stand to be bike less for long :ohmy:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
You will need these two tools cassette removing tool £4.25, chain whip £5.25 to do it yourself

domtyler

Über Member
If you are short of cash you need to do what is most economical over the next twelve months and that will be a new rim and build at the LBS.

You won't need to invest in any tools (assuming you don't already own them), it will be far better quality than a really cheap factory made wheel. If it goes wrong you can take it straight back to the shop.

What hub is it on btw?

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Current hub is Tiagra 4400

LBS has quoted "about £60.00" for new rim fitting. Almost the same price (if I include cost of tools) as a new Tiagra r500 wheel from Wiggle - seems wrong somehow :ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
Kestevan said:

LBS has quoted "about £60.00" for new rim fitting. Almost the same price (if I include cost of tools) as a new Tiagra r500 wheel from Wiggle - seems wrong somehow :ohmy:

Hmm, you're right! Do you know anyone who could lend you the tools?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
£60 for a new wheel build? The fixed wheel is going to cost about that, and that includes the hub:eek:
Ask for discount :ohmy:

RedBike

The most economical over 12 months is probably going to be the new wheel and tools.

I would assume that you're going to have to change the chain / cassette at least once in the next year anyway (due to wear) which you'll need the tools for / or pay the shop for.

Your exisitng hub is probably not in the best condition and will require a good service.

gbb

Legendary Member
Kestevan said:

LBS has quoted "about £60.00" for new rim fitting. Almost the same price (if I include cost of tools) as a new Tiagra r500 wheel from Wiggle - seems wrong somehow :tongue:

R500 wheelsets, both front AND rear are a bit less than £60...the rear only is about £45.
Fatbirds did the R500 wheelset for £58. Ive seen them a bit cheaper as well.

byegad

Legendary Member
Do the job yourself. It's getting the old one off that's difficult and if you begger that one so what, it's already beggered! Once done once it's easy.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Slight change of plan. I've sold one of the children to a spare parts clinic in India.

I've now ordered a spiffing new Fulcrum 7 wheelset (and will be living off beans and rice for the next 3 weeks).

02GF74

Über Member
is the crack radial or circumferentail?

the latter occur as the side walls wear due to braking.

if the hub bearings run smoothly, then why replace? bear in mind that as ^^^^ pointed out, you can buy on the 'net a new rear wheel for less the lbs will charge to replace part on yours. even replacing just the rim may prove less economical than a new wheel as the price of individual part will exceed the pricie of the complete wheel.

the cheapes option is to buy an identical rim and fit that. tape the new rim to the old one and oney by one, move the spokes acorss.

you will then spend some time truing the wheel and if you aren't very good at that, you can take it to the shop for them to finish.

Top Bottom