cracking sidewall on new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

Hi, purchased new Schwalbe ultremo zx just after Christmas, and only riden on them twice. I have noticed fine cracking on top side of sidewall most of the way round. You have to get close in to see it, but noticed it mainly running through the white graghics on the tyre wall. They have been inflated properly. Is it something to do with how the different compounds meet, or is it a trip back to the shop?

Drago

Legendary Member
I had this on my new Cityjets. Didn't seem to affect the tyre or worsen over time.

tournut

I
Now this could easily be an example of our penchant for seeing patterns in things. The words sidewall and Schwalbe do seem to be cropping up a lot of late.
Had same problem. Sent email to schwalbe took six days for reply, told me to take bk to shop. Thay told me thay carnt do anything. And to contact schwalbe again. I think there is a bad production batch out there. Normaly no problem with that tyre.

S.Giles

The words sidewall and Schwalbe do seem to be cropping up a lot of late.

They cropped up in a thread I started some months ago. The City Jets I put on my old bike years ago are still going strong, but the City Jets I later put on my new bike were rubbish, and have both now had to be replaced. It started with side-wall cracking, and deteriorated from there. Schwalbe were no help at all. If I didn't know better, I'd have to conclude that they don't care whether their tyres are rubbish or not.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
They cropped up in a thread I started some months ago. The City Jets I put on my old bike years ago are still going strong, but the City Jets I later put on my new bike were rubbish, and have both now had to be replaced. It started with side-wall cracking, and deteriorated from there. Schwalbe were no help at all. If I didn't know better, I'd have to conclude that they don't care whether their tyres are rubbish or not.

I've never had a good Schwalbe experience.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I run Schwalbe tyres on my commuter and the first 2 sets were great. The most recent set soon developed serious cracking of the sidewalls. I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to argue the toss over part worn tyres so have kept using them which hasn't caused any problems. I will probably replace them sooner rather than waiting till they get down to the canvas :whistle:
Probably won't get Schwalbe again as there has been a LOT of similar stories in the last year or two.

Top Bottom