Schwalbe quality control problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

Hi

Here's a photo of a Schwalbe City Jet tyre I purchased in January this year, which has only had road use. The cracks started appearing just after I fitted them, and run much of the way around the circumference of the tyres on both sides. In addition, they seem to have worn-out very quickly from road contact.

I've used City Jets before, and found them to be reasonably satisfactory tyres. In fact, I've had City Jets on another bike for five years and they're in better condition than these new ones! I can only think it's a manufacturing problem involving the rubber compound. A slow puncture has now developed in that wheel, and I assume there's a connection.

Has anyone else here had similar problems with City Jets? I'm talking to the retailer to get it rectified, but am not sure I want to risk using Schwalbes again.

(Please bear with me, this is my first attempt to post a photo on this forum, so fingers crossed!)

Steve

010.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That looks alright to me. It's surface cracking where the dynamo strip has been bonded on and I've had similar on other tyres from various manufacturers. The strength of the tyre is in the fabric carcass so unless the cords are exposed/fraying or there are bulges in the tyre I'd be quite happy to trust that on my own bike.

I don't think the slow puncture is connected - more likely you've picked up a thorn or the valve is leaking. Worth checking.

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the reply. It leads me to ask how long a cycle tyre should be expected to last. I've only had these on since January, during which time I've done about 1500 miles. The rear tyre particularly is truly knackered, with the cracks beginning to propagate into the tread pattern in some (admittedly few) places. In contrast, the previous set I bought have been on my other bike for about five years, and look to be in better condition than these.

The photo makes it look as though the cracks run along both sides of the 'dynamo strip', whereas in fact they are only at the top (ie, outside) of the strip. They are quite deep. The 'centre groove' at the apex of the rear tyre is completely worn out through road wear. Is this normal after 1500 miles?

If the consensus is that all this is normal, I'll just purchase some new tyres, but it feels like I just put these on, and I'm having to replace them already.

Steve

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll admit that 1500 miles doesn't seem much mileage for the rear to be worn out (except possibly on a racing tyre). I'd have expected about double that. How many miles have the other ones done?

I still don't think there is anything particularly alarming about the cracking shown, however if you're really not happy the best thing would be to continue to liase with the retailer and get an expert opinion.:thumbsup:.

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

Thanks again, Phil.

The old tyres are on a bike without a computer, so I've no idea of mileage. After four or five years though, it must be pretty high, compared to the new tyres.

The (Ebay) vendor has asked me to send the tyres back to them (presumably at my expense), which will render the bicycle unusable for a time. I'm just not sure I can be bothered with that to save £20. Anyway, if they replace the tyres like-for-like, I could just be in the same boat again.

And Schwalbe insinuate on their website that they're not really interested in customer feedback (UPDATE 08/07: They have now contacted me).

Could anyone suggest a good replacement 26 x 1.5 tyre? Continental, possibly?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a set of Schwalbe tyres fitted to my hybrid earlier this year that are even worse. The sidewalls are in a terrible state. I am about to contact the supplier to get a refund or replacement as the previous sets have done many 1000's of miles and the sidewalls still look like new (they are still hung up to be used as emergency spares).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They are 700x35c Schwalbe Road Cruisers, the only difference to previous sets is the country of manufacture (which is concealed by the rim) being different on this problem pair. The tread is wearing well and doesn't seem to be affected, just the side walls that look bloomin awful. They are only inflated to 65psi, the stated max.

upload_2014-7-8_5-28-29.png

Hicky

Guru
My lugano's have done the same on the sidewall when 10psi less than the stated max....new tyres!!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
..............., the only difference to previous sets is the country of manufacture (which is concealed by the rim) being different on this problem pair. ........................

don't be shy...where..?
i read someplace - was Philippines now Vietnam.....could be mistaken

EDIT
ahha .......on CTC
''but the LBS tell me that the schwalbe rep has said 'new factory in Vietnam...''
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86739
Schwalbe tyre Issues

looks like a modern QC prob - the Marathon+ 35c i fitted over this winter were actually purchased several years ago

OP
OP
S.Giles

S.Giles

Thank you for the replies.

From reading the above (and the link) it looks as though I'm not the only one who has issues with Schwalbe tyres.

Come to think of it, my new Schwalbes also have a slight problem whereby they make the wheel look as if it's not quite true (did I describe that well enough?). There was none of this nonsense with the old set of Schwalbes on my other bike. It looks like it's time for a change of brands, which is too bad, because I was quite happy with what I had originally.

I may still take this up with the retailer, because I think I have a genuine grievance. I have to balance this against the 'hassle factor', though.

Thanks again

Steve

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't think the cracking is a major issue -it does develop over time, and so long as the carcase is intact it's OK. Not so OK on a new tyre though.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
^^^ any failure HAS to be an issue surely..?
too many reports recently of cracking/sidewall failures on new/low mileage tyres for my peace of mind

but who knows..? there are many internet posts about Continental ULTRA Sport failures -- mine are perfect ....:rolleyes:

Tom B

Guru
It might be worth checking how accurate your pressure gauge is some, particularly those on pumps and el-cheapos are miles off, particularly the further you get away form 30psi.

I have just replaced some 5year old schwalbe tyres on a bike that lives in varying degress of sunlight and is used for 40 - 60 miles a week. The reason they was changed was cracking, more of a crazing that deepend but in the same areas as yours.

I put it down to the sunlight as much as anything.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_wear

Try contacting Schwalbe see what they say, back when i worked in the paint industry we would quite often be happy to swap a product a customer claimed was faulty so we could get the product back and understand what had gone wrong.

classic33

Leg End Member
Only recall having any real problems with one set of tyres. A pair of Michelin, which were worn through in places after just over 500 miles.
I removed them because I didn't feel safe with them on. Replaced them with a different manufacturer.
Thread reminds me, I never heard back from them after sending them the tyres.

Top Bottom