Cracks in Tyre Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was giving my commuter hybrid a quick once over last night and I noticed a number of cracks in the wall of the rear tyre almost right round the diameter. Should I replace the tyre?

Its a 700c x 32 Conti Sport Contact, its about 10 months old and has done about 1500 miles.

Also what could be causing the tyre wall to crack?

domtyler

Über Member
Hmmm, mine are quite a lot older than that and have done a lot more miles and yet I have not noticed any cracks or any other defects in mine.

Is the bike left outside in all weathers? Maybe the strong sun you get in Scotland could be causing a breakdown of the rubber? :biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
I've had cracks in the rubber and continued riding without any problem. It is the casing underneath that is the strength of the tyre - if that goes, then definitely replace it.

... now wait for someone to say I am wrong.....

threefingerjoe

Über Member
O2GF74. I agree with you. I run Continental Sport Contacts, and have 4000 miles on the current set. The strength really is in the casing, not in the outside rubber coating. What CAN cause this kind of deterioration in the rubber is ozone. Was the bike stored near any electric motors? If those were my tires, (unless they were REALLY old and dry-rotted), I'd run them until the fabric shows.

llllllll

Agreed, if I replaced my tires every time I got a crack/cut/spilt they'd only last a week. I bought a Continental Gatorskin for my commuter and within a couple of days it had a half inch cut in the tread. Thought about replacing it, but it never punctured and is still going strong 3 months later, though I've probably cursed it now.

Blue

Legendary Member
I think the perceived wisdom regarding this is to ditch a tyre when you start to get lots of punctures or if a rip is so bad that the casing is showing. That's the rule I follow anyway!

Certainly, I get a lot of cuts/nicks in my tyres(poor roads) and roll along without any problem. However, I would be cautious about sidewall damage.

Top Bottom