Crane shoes....... Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Just bagged myself a pair of Crane cycling shoes at my local Aldi. I haven't tried them on the bike yet but they seem fine, cheap n cheerful! It says on the box they're compatible with most popular pedal/cleat set-ups, I take it they mean SPD, does anyone else use or have used these shoes?

13 rider

Guru
I bought last years version and use them with SPD cleats . Used them for a year still in good order and no issues with cleats

Grumpyfatman

Mixed reviews, some find them to be great value and perfectly servicable. However I've seen a few posts where they've failed within 200 miles as the cleat structure has fallen apart.

I'm sure they'll be fine for normal use

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister bought me a pair several years ago. I have probably ridden 15,000+ miles in them.

Yes, they are cheap and cheerful (and look it!) but they do the job and have been reliable. They are just starting to fall apart now so I will probably shelve them after the coming winter (perhaps keeping them for rides in really bad weather rather than wearing the replacement shoes for those).

I think for about £15 they were a bargain.

PS I might ask my sister to pick up another pair for me since she is coming to visit me tomorrow and we do not have an Aldi here!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've had two pairs. They lasted me a year each, which I feel was r more than reasonable for the price. However, the Scott's I replaced them with are still going strong after 2-3 years. You pay for what you get.

Karlt

Nice stiff sole; they're almost a hybrid between a MTB shoe and a road shoe. I had a bit of an issue getting the cleat on one as the holes on the plate under the sole were too far away from the base of the sole, but I was able to draw the plate towards the sole and get them on in the end. Not unexpected on a cheap item with more variability and lower quality control.

Venod

Eh up
a hybrid between a MTB shoe and a road shoe

What do you mean? some MTB shoes are as stiff as road shoes, some road shoes are as flexible as MTB shoes.

Karlt

What do you mean? some MTB shoes are as stiff as road shoes, some road shoes are as flexible as MTB shoes.
Just a general impression; they're more road-shoey and less trainery than most MTB shoes I've had or seen. They feel more like road shoes on the feet as well.

Top Bottom