CRANK ARM REMOVAL HELP PLEASE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone tell me if there is a proper way to remove crank arms from the bottom bracket, I wish to fit a two wheel chain set Which I already have to my Courier classic.
I have messed with loads of these in the passed but have always used the BIG HAMMER approach, as this bike cost more than a fiver I thought I ought to do the job right. Is there some sort of extractor?

Many thanks

Brad

yello

BADGER.BRAD said:
Is there some sort of extractor?

Exact type required depends on the crank, but Park Tools do make a 'universal' crank extractor.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3614

THere was me thinking this was some sort of right wing conspiracy to reduce the leftist nuumbers here ;)

Davidc

Guru
yello said:
;) They wore and made your cranks go wobbly!

Well - yeah. But you got to use a big hammer to get them out! (And they cost next to nothing so you could put a new one in when you needed to).

I chucked out the remains of a packet of them that was at the bottom of my bike bits box a few weeks back. There were three left in it and it had 8d written on the side!

Amazing some of the rubbish in there, rusty ball bearings, screws, a bent crank, non-metric nuts, a couple of very rusty freewheel block cogs for a 5 speed .... made a lovely noise when tipped into the metal skip at the recycling centre.

Top Bottom