Crank Falling Off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Ok so my crank had been creaking for about two weeks.. and me being lazy didnt really bother to take it all apart but instead, opted for a quick clean. Wjilst out yesterday the whole left crank came off.. luckily I was sable to get to the LBS and they put a new bolt on but warned that it may not last too long. I looked at the inside of the crank and good see that the metal had been deformed under pressure, but nothing too severe. So today whilst out with my mates, the same thing happened.. so I whipped out the 8mm key and gave it a damn good tightening, and amazing it held on for about 30 miles. However, I could still here creaking/ ticking, especially on steep climbs. My question is, do you think should just upgrade it now to a sealed crank like the lbs recomended, or leave it and it might be ok? Anyone know how much it would be to upgrade roughly, obv. it depends on the crank.. but any ideas??

cheers

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
roadiewill said:
Ok so my crank had been creaking for about two weeks.. and me being lazy didnt really bother to take it all apart but instead, opted for a quick clean. Wjilst out yesterday the whole left crank came off.. luckily I was sable to get to the LBS and they put a new bolt on but warned that it may not last too long. I looked at the inside of the crank and good see that the metal had been deformed under pressure, but nothing too severe. So today whilst out with my mates, the same thing happened.. so I whipped out the 8mm key and gave it a damn good tightening, and amazing it held on for about 30 miles. However, I could still here creaking/ ticking, especially on steep climbs. My question is, do you think should just upgrade it now to a sealed crank like the lbs recomended, or leave it and it might be ok? Anyone know how much it would be to upgrade roughly, obv. it depends on the crank.. but any ideas??

cheers

What kind of crank/fitting do you have?

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

Not certain, but its made by Truvativ and is on the 08 SCR3 ... its not one of those closed cranks, its got a gap between the crank and bottom bracket... know what i mean?

rnscotch

Veteran
I had the same problem with my Truvativ bb, even getting a new bb never resolved it i bought a shimano chainset and everything has been ok since.

IMO truvativ is crap..

Greenbank

Über Member
Yup, you'll probably need to replace it. Maybe even the BB if the spindle is equally worn.

If you'd tightened it up when you first realised it was loose then you might have got away with it, but riding with a loose crank just exacerbated the problem.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I'd replace the BB at the same time - they are fairly cheap items - as the spindle may be b*ggered too

Top Bottom