Crank loose on my Scott hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rimexboy

I've got a Scott speedster hybrid and the crank is loose ( rocking side to side ) it's only done about 30 miles does any one know how I tighten it up also do I need any certain tools to do this thanks sinon

Brommyboy

Über Member
I take it that this has a square taper spindle, in which case lift the end cap off the crank and use a socket spanner. If using an extended arm lever, do not over-tighten as the crank can crack.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chances are the crank arm is now damaged and will refuse to stay tight. I am guessing this is the left/non-drive side crank (it nearly always is). If the bike is new and has only covered 30 miles then it should be returned to the supplier for a new crank arm or chainset to be fitted as the bolt/nut that secures the crank has not been checked during the PDI.

OP
OP
R

Rimexboy

Hi many thanks for your help on this the whole crank is rocking side to side it's not the arm of any side of the crank.

So if you lean over the bike and hold one pedal in each hand it has movement rocking side to side the crank on the bike is a truvati isotope road crank.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks simon

PpPete

Legendary Member
Truvativ Isoflow maybe ? I can't find an Isotope model.
It's a splined one.

If the bike has only done 30 miles it definitely needs to go straight back to the vendor.

PpPete

Legendary Member
OP
OP
R

Rimexboy

That's a great link many thanks for that I will have a look when I get home thanks again

OP
OP
R

Rimexboy

ok home now and had another look i removed the allen bolt from the crank none drive side to see whats what and have now orderd a puller and also the other part to try and tighten or remove and inspect it.... thanks again for your help

OP
OP
R

Rimexboy

Well one very happy chap here my mate popped over and he lent me the tools I needed to sort this so I took the crank right off and the bearings right out all ok so I greased them up and put it all back together and all is just fantastic.
Thanks again all for your priceless help

Top Bottom