Crankset advice needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am rebuilding my old Trek 850 to resume commuting with it. When I stripped it down, I gave away the old Deore FC-M510 crankset and now need to find a suitable replacement.

Since it appears that this particular item has long since been discontinued, I need advice on what I can get to fit in its place. If it's relevant, the rear cassette is a 14-28 7-speed so I'm not sure if getting a modern crankset for, say, a 9-speed or higher will be a problem for the chain line.

I'd prefer Shimano, and something of at least the same quality as Deore level.

Any ideas?

EDITED TO ADD: Required crank length is 175mm and preferred chainrings of 48/38/28t

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't think you need to be concerned about chainline, given you'll be replacing triple with triple. Personally I'd look for a triple MTB chainset in good condition off e-by-gum. The bottom bracket will be square taper. If wanting new, worth looking at what Spa Cycles have to offer - how about this:
Spa Cycles (own) "touring chainset based on the classic Sugino XD2. 7,8 and 9spd compatible. Forged 2014 alloy crank arms (2014 is stronger than 6061 and 7005) with a polished siver (sic) finish. 6061 alloy chainrings with ramps and pins. An absolute bargain and much higher quality than the price suggests." (£35 from £45 so even more of a bargain) I have a similar one (in 160mm flavour cranks).
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
As an aside, why do you want 175mm cranks - are you 1.90+m?

Last edited:
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

If wanting new, worth looking at what Spa Cycles have to offer - how about this:
Spa Cycles (own) "touring chainset based on the classic Sugino XD2. 7,8 and 9spd compatible.

Thanks for that link, they're certainly worth considering.

No, that's the spec of the crankset that came off and I'd no problems with it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I just went the other way and removed the triple from my old Trek 970 Singletrack to switch to a single up front. You can have it if you want, although I do recommend looking if you really need a triple, I am happy commuting on 8 speed now.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I just went the other way and removed the triple from my old Trek 970 Singletrack to switch to a single up front. You can have it if you want, although I do recommend looking if you really need a triple, I am happy commuting on 8 speed now.

I'm replacing all the kit with new stuff so I'm looking for a new set but thanks for the kind offer!

Out of interest, how many teeth up front and what's on the back?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I don't think you need to be concerned about chainline, given you'll be replacing tripke with triple. Personally I'd look for a triple MTB chainset in good condition off e-by-gum. The bottom bracket will be square taper. If wanting new, worth looking at what Spa Cycles have to offer - how about this:
Spa Cycles (own) "touring chainset based on the classic Sugino XD2. 7,8 and 9spd compatible. Forged 2014 alloy crank arms (2014 is stronger than 6061 and 7005) with a polished siver (sic) finish. 6061 alloy chainrings with ramps and pins. An absolute bargain and much higher quality than the price suggests." (£35 from £45 so even more of a bargain) I have a similar one (in 160mm flavour cranks).
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset

i keep looking at this crankset for my Marin mtb as it's well over due a drive line overhaul ready for winter duties

Top Bottom