Crankset Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yashicamat

I'm trying to work out what crankset I need for this Rixon frame I've aquired for a singlespeed conversion. I think I'm sorted with the rear wheel/gear system - the centre-to-centre width between the rear dropouts is 137mm, so about 133mm internal width which I believe will fit the Spa Cycles handbuilt wheel rear hub which has an OLN of 130mm? I'll then fit a single speed conversion kit to it.

The confusion comes over the crankset though. The bottom bracket that is fitted as a square taper on it:

attachment.php

It seems to be showing a very slight resistance to turn (perhaps it needs replacing?) i.e., if I pop an old crankarm (which is a square taper, but it's a french crankarm and I don't think the taper is the same) on, it will spin but will stop after a few revolutions, rather than just keep on spinning like my other bikes seem to.

So, what crankset / chainwheel (42T) would I need for a single speed project? I have googled and googled but information on this sort of thing seems to be scarce (unbelievably, unless I'm doing something daft:blush:) and the few cranksets

Cheers folks.;)

OP
OP
yashicamat

yashicamat

Follow up: Would one of these be suitable and then swap out the BB? Or am I paying more than I need to . . .?

jpembroke

Sounds like your BB needs replacing. You will need to make sure you get the correct length BB so get the chain line right. Sugino and Stronglight make nice track (singlespeed) crankset btw. Or you could get a normal chainset and put a 42t chainring on the outside. That can work.

Top Bottom